1.040 - Budget
Effective Date: 2/19/2014
This policy applies to employees with budget-related responsibilities.
1. The Seattle City Council Approves the Department’s Yearly Budget
Captains and above, or their designees, will adhere to the approved budget.
Captains and above, or their designees, may develop a new expenditure plan within available budgeted resources. Any new plan is submitted to the Finance and Budget Policy Section who will coordinate with the Chief of Police, City Budget Office, and/or the City Council, for approval.
2. The Chief of Police Determines the Organization of the Department
Only the Chief of Police has the authority to approve any organizational change that affects the structure of a bureau, section or unit.
Employees may submit a proposed change during the biennial or mid-biennial budget process for an organizational change through their chain of command to the Finance and Budget Policy Section.
Employees requesting an organizational change for the current year will complete a Request for Organizational Change (form 18.1) and submit it through their chain of command to the Finance and Budget Policy Section. Specific requirements for organizational changes at mid-year are outlined on the form.
3. Bureau Chiefs and Directors Distribute Budget and Expenditure Goals to Affected Personnel
4. Captains and Above Assess the Budgetary Needs of Their Command
5. Captains and Above Adhere to Their Command’s Budgetary Plan
The Finance and Budget Policy Section will coordinate the review and approval of requests for transfer of budget authority with the Fiscal, Property and Fleet Management Section, the Chief of Police/Chief of Staff, and the City Department of Finance.
Employees will comply with RCW 35.32.000 which prohibits the obligation of public funds by any personnel other than those authorized to disperse funds for the City.
6. The Department Complies With RCW Chapter 35.32A in Determining Budgetary Needs
7. The Human Resources Section Coordinates Money for Salaries and Personnel Benefits
Increases in personnel allocations, or creation of new positions is requested by section captains through their bureau chiefs or civilian equivalents and the Finance and Budget Policy Section.
The Chief of Police or the Chief of Staff is the final approving authority.
8. Captains Request Additional Personnel Positions From a Bureau Chief
Captains will request additional personnel positions or allocations through their bureau chief and the Finance, Strategic Policy and Planning Section.
The Chief of Police has final approval on budgetary decisions.
9. Employees Will Make Requests for Supplies, Equipment or Services Using the Purchase Order System
Employee requests through the Purchase Order (1.5E) system are sent for approval through their chain of command to the Chief of Staff.
Employees will not place an order with an outside vendor without prior approval of the chain of command through the Chief of Staff.
When approved, the Fiscal Unit will issue a Purchase Order Number to authorize the purchase.
The Information Technology Section Manager’s approval is required for purchases of technological equipment.
10. Employees Are Financially Responsible for Unauthorized Purchases Made on Behalf of the Department
11. An Expenditure Not Previously Authorized in the Budget Requires a Budget Addendum
See 1.040-PRO-1 Requesting a Budget Addendum for an Expenditure not Previously Authorized in the Budget
1.040-PRO-1 Requesting a Budget Addendum for an Expenditure not Previously Authorized in the Budget
1. Completes a written addendum to the budget listing:
- The new object of expenditure
- What authorized spending is abandoned
- The justification for the change
- The impact on planned objectives and productivity
- The level of effort to achieve the objective
- The deferred costs or needs
2. Sends the written addendum through their chain of command to the Bureau Chief.
3. Approves or denies the addendum.
4. Notifies the requestor.
5. If approved, forwards the addendum to the Finance and Budget Policy Section.
Finance and Budget Policy Section
6. Coordinates review and approval with the Chief of Police, Chief of Staff and City Budget Office.
7. Notifies the requestor of the change in budget.