NATIVE AMERICAN ADVISORY COUNCIL
ABOUT THE COUNCIL
The Native American Advisory Council to the Seattle Police Department was created in 2003, becoming one of ten such councils that work collaboratively with the police. The demographic advisory councils were born out of a need to hear directly from communities that often feel disenfranchised, alienated, or as though they do not have the same access as the majority population does to the police department.
OUR AREAS OF FOCUS
- Mutual accountability to our communities and the Council.
- Open communication between the Council, community, and the Seattle Police Department.
- Support and encourage Native youth and SPD to develop a healthy successful relationship.
- Respect for each other and our identities, experiences, and diverse viewpoints.
- Create and maintain a supportive, respectful and safe environment that facilitates relationship building, honesty, and communication.
- Work collaboratively, beyond mutually held common stereotypes.