FILIPINO ADVISORY COUNCIL
ABOUT THE COUNCIL
The Filipino Advisory Council to the Seattle Police Department was created in 1994, and is one of ten councils that work collaboratively with the police. The Council was created to work with the Department on issues of concern, and to share insights and recommendations that could impact relationships between the Seattle Police Department and the community. Council members work together to create their own agendas, and strategize ways for making police services more responsive to the needs of the community.
OUR AREAS OF FOCUS
- Advise the Seattle Police Department about the crime prevention, public safety, and law enforcement concerns of the Filipino American community through open and respectful dialogue.
- Promote and encourage officer training with regard to cultural competency while expanding the community’s understanding of the practices and policies of the police department.
- Support and encourage Filipino American youth and Seattle Police Department to develop a healthy and successful relationship.
- Promote and encourage community participation in the Advisory Council, events and workshops that promote public safety.
- Foster goodwill and trust between the Filipino American community and the Seattle Police Department.
- Encourage police recruitment in the Filipino American community.