SEASONAL SAFETY TIPS
Different times of year should play into your crime prevention considerations and personal safety.
Seasonal events effect safety, such fall bringing kids returning to school and a need for more vigilance in cross walks and school zones. Meanwhile, during the holiday season busy parking lots and gift giving can make vehicles and property a target for thieves.
Weather throughout the year also has an effect on crime and safety. Summer often makes people more careless about locking doors and windows while driving in icy conditions effects safety in the winter.
- Crime doesn't take a holiday. You know when it is a holiday and so do thieves. Winter holidays bring lots of presents and vacant houses while people are traveling. During these times, be especially vigilant about home and property security.
- Ice and snow make driving very tricky. SDOT has a helpful information section on Winter Driving Tips
SPRING and FALL:
- Even if you don't have kids in school, keep in mind when schools are in session and drive accordingly.
- Seattle is getting more visitors every summer. Take care to protect your property in crowded tourist destinations - just because you are a Seattle resident, thieves can still target your belongings.
- July 4th - fireworks are illegal in the City of Seattle.
- Water safety - the Harbor Patrol section has good tips on water safety
- In the summer people think less about locking doors and windows and can often leave tools out, or doors unlocked as they work in the yard.