Smart 911 Program
Smart911 is a national third-party system that stores data you provide and makes it available to emergency call centers that are equipped and ready to recieve Smart911 data.
What is Smart911?
- Smart911 is a free service that allows users to provide more information about themselves or their household to 911 in case of emergencies.
- Once you have a Smart 911 profile, when anyone dials 9-1-1 from any of the phones associated with the profile (including mobile phones) 9-1-1 call takers have access to much more information; including any medical conditions that you provide.
- This service is helpful for everyone, especially for those with mobile/wireless devices that may be used to call 911.
- SPD especially recommends this service for the deaf/hard of hearing, those with medical conditions or a disability, or for those who have caretaker or guardian responsibilities for vulnerable relatives.
Regional Support for Smart911
- The Smart911 system is supported within King County and within Seattle.
- This is a recognized, national system that many call centers are starting to use, so your profile can potentially be accessed if you have an emergency while you are travelling. However, it only works with agencies that are set up to use the system.
- You have complete control over what data you provide and what you choose to share.
- Seattle Police has no way to access the information you provide to Smart911 UNTIL you call 9-1-1. SPD does not retain your information or use it in any other way then to provide emergency assistance when you call us.The King County website has a good Frequently Asked Questions section for more information on this service.