Deaf and Interpreter Services
Deaf and Hearing Impaired
NOTE: Callers using TTY equipment must dial 9-1-1 to reach police, fire and emergency medical assistance.
- To assist hearing impaired callers, every 9-1-1 phone console in the Seattle Police 9-1-1 Center is equipped with a Text Telephone (TTY) machine
- Each calltaker is trained in the procedures to answer these calls.
- Frequent test calls are done to assure that calltakers maintain their TTY skills.
- Call takers have immediate access to interpreters who can assist them in communicating with callers
- The 9-1-1 call taker will connect you to an Interpreter, and they will coordinate their assistance.
To access interpreter services:
- Call 9-1-1 and in English, state that this is an emergency (either fire or medical) and what language (or dialect) you speak.
- The operator will conference the call with an interpreter.
- Let the interpreter control the conversation.