Install a CRIME watch sign
To get a Crime Watch (or Block Watch) sign installed in your neighborhood, you must first order and pay (between $25 - 75) for the sign, and then install the sign according to Seattle Department of Transportation Guidelines. You can customize what the sign says for your neighborhood.
Download our Printable Guide to this process, which also provides two resources for sign manufacturing.
Checklist To Follow:
• Consult with adjacent property owners concerning placement of signs to be installed to have their concurrence on the location.
• Call “One-Call” at 1-800-424-5555 for locate of possible underground utilities before digging.
• After location of possible underground utilities has been completed and neighbors concur on location, install “Block Watch” Signs following the guidelines below.
• Signs are to be installed on 4” x 4” wood posts. The wood posts must not exceed a height on 9’ from the ground to the top of the sign or a minimum of 3’ to the top of the sign. Wood posts should be installed to a depth of 3’ below the ground surface.
• Signs are to be installed in the planting strip between the street and the sidewalk. If there is no planting strip, the signs need to be installed “behind the sidewalk”.
• Signs need to be installed a minimum of three feet off the edge of the roadway.
• Signs need to be a minimum of twenty feet from any official traffic control signs.
• Signs need to be a minimum of fifteen feet from an intersection.
• Signs are not to be installed on wood utility poles or City Light metal poles.
• Signs are not to be installed in the sidewalk.
• Signs are not to be installed with traffic control signs of any type.