Seattle Planning Commission Accomplishments for 2006
The Planning Commission advises city decision-makers on broad planning policies and goals, and on major planning projects and issues. Recommendations are framed by Seattleís Comprehensive Plan, as well as a commitment to promote planning decisions that support the health and vitality of the community. Highlights of the Commissionís 2006 activities include:
- Provided advise and assistance on many important city planning initiatives such development of a South Lake Union Urban Center Plan; City's revisions to the neighborhood commercial code policies; new zoning for the Downtown, and review of the cities policies regarding adult cabarets.
- Promoted Housing Choices by advocating for the legislation for Detached Accessory Dwelling Unitís in South East Seattle and assisting in the development of a Guidebook that will offer a Plan Book service and technical advisory assistance.
- Advocated for an Industrial Lands Strategy to ensure adequate land for expected future of industrial businesses in Seattle and identify criteria for evaluating future decisions to reclassify industrial land.
- Evaluated how mega transportation projects such as Sound Transit 2, 520 Replacement Project, Alaskan Way Viaduct impact Seattle residents.
Seattle Planning Commission Accomplishments for 2004 - 2005
- Continued to advocate for an industrial lands strategy by holding a roundtable discussion in November. The roundtable brought together City officials to discuss the current state of industrial land policy - how it is working and where changes might be made.
- Produced a report that compares the industrial lands strategies of 5 different cities.
- Worked with city staff to produce a study that provides an overview of the City's current industrial land zoning and usage, and examines at a high level how current zoning can accommodate future industrial growth and demand in Seattle.
- Assisted in the City of Seattle 10 Year Comp Plan Update including hosting the kick off meeting, reviewing changes, and providing detailed anaylsis.
- Assisted in the creation of a 'Readers Guide' to help people better navigate the Comp Plan.
- Provided a detailed review of 2005 amendments. Provided advise and recommendations to city officials.
- Assisted city staff on the development of the South Lake Union Urban Center Plan.
- Provided public involvement consultation to City on development of a South Lake Union Urban Center Plan.
Land Use/Commercial Policies
- Advised DPD, Mayor and City Council on the proposals for the City's revisions to the neighborhood commercial code policies.
- Advised City Council on proposed legislation for Broadway Revitalization.
- Developed recommendations for the Downtown Height and Density Zoning Change proposal.
Center City Seattle
- Releases recommendations and white paper on the "Center City Seattle" strategy. The strategy focuses on encouraging economic growth, transportation, new housing, and great urban neighborhoods in Seattle's downtown core and the nine centrally located neighborhoods immediately around
- Developed a Neighborhood Plans comparison matrix for the 10 Center City neighborhoods.
Housing Choices - Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit's (DADU's)
- Advised City staff on legislation for DADU's in South East Seattle
- Advocated for development of a Plan Book service for DADU's
- Briefed the City Council on the Commission's findings and recommendations based on the public process.
- Worked with DPD on developing concepts for a technical advisory assistance process for design of Detached Accessory Dwelling Units in selected city neighborhoods.
- Tracked the City's progress on implementing the Northgate Resolution; provided advice on key issues/questions from City Officials.
- In coordination with DPD, conducted interviews with property owners to assess development issues.
- Produced the Northgate Open Space & Pedestrian Connections Draft Plan.
- Monitored and worked with the Northgate Stakeholders groups to ensure progress on Northgate planning and development.
- Advised City staff and consultants the waterfront planning effort, on the public process, and on key planning issues.
- Worked with City to develop key elements of the Waterfront Concept Plan.
- Assigned Commission representative to the Waterfront Partners Group.
Alaskan Way Viaduct
- Held briefings with City/WSDOT project team to give advise on planning/design issues.
- Prepared letters to City and WSDOT advising on the scope of the alternatives analysis.
- The Seattle Planning Commission reviews of the EIS and the preferred Alternative.
- Released an opinion supporting the full tunnel option.
- Once the Seattle Monorail Project (SMP) announced its contract with Cascadia and developed their financing options, the Commission produced a number of white papers and recommendations on several aspects of the project to assist public officials in making decisions about the project.
- Three Planning Commissioners participated as member of the Monorail Review Panel (MRP), which met regularly throughout the year to provide ongoing advice to the SMP and the City on Monorail system design issues.
- Provided comments to Sound transit on the Supplemental Environmental Impact statement
- Followed the Long Range Plan for Phase 2 of Regional Transit and ST2.
- Three Commissioners continue to serve as members of the LRRP, which met on a limited basis during the year.
- Conducted a comprehensive review the Planning Commissions ethics and conflict of interest policy.
- Developed new guidelines and procedures to improve conflict of interest processes and procedures.
Advised Mayor and City Council on Mayor's proposal for Northgate. Supported the Mayor's proposal and recommended additional actions to provide a more holistic approach Advised City Council on proposed Northgate Resolution; provided advice on key issues/questions from Council and ultimately supporting its adoption.
Housing Choices - Detached ADU's and Cottage Housing
Advised City staff on the public process and on development of legislation for Detached ADU's and cottage housing. Sponsored a series of 3 focus groups with different interest groups on Housing Choices. Co-sponsored public workshop on Housing Choices. Prepared a report on the results of the public process, with findings and recommendations to the City. Briefed the City Council on the Commission's findings and recommendations based on the public process.
Co-sponsored 2 public forums on the Waterfront with the Seattle Design Commission. Prepared a report summarizing the results of the public forums. Advised City staff and consultants on the scope of the waterfront planning effort, on the public process, on the background report, and on key planning issues.
Alaskan Way Viaduct
Periodic joint briefings and input to City/WSDOT project team with Seattle Design Commission, focused primarily on planning/design issues. Prepared letters to City and WSDOT advising on the scope of the alternatives analysis. Commission representative served on the AWV Leadership Group.
Advised City Station Area Planning Team on scope, approach and materials for station area planning workshops . Attended Station Area Planning workshops; provided feedback to staff on results and next steps. Prepared formal comments on the Monorail DEIS, submitting them to SMP Board and City Council and Mayor. Three Commissioners participated as member of the Monorail Review Panel (MRP), which met regularly throughout the year to provide ongoing advice to the SMP and the City on Monorail system design issues.
Prepared formal comments on the Northlink Draft SEIS, submitting them to Sound Transit, and sharing with the City Council and Mayor. Three Commissioners continue to serve as members of the LRRP, which met on a limited basis during the year.
Advised City staff on the scope and process for the 10-year comp plan update. Co-sponsored a Kick-Off Forum on the Comp Plan Update. Co-sponsored a comp plan forum for Neighborhood Stewardship Groups Provided advice to SDOT and DPD staff on revisions to the Transportation Element of the Comp Plan and the TSP Land Use/Commercial Policies. Advised DPD on the scope and process for the City's revisions to the Commercial policies through periodic briefings. One Commissioner participated in the Commercial Policies Advisory Committee which met over a six month period, advising DPD on the scope, key issues and proposed approach to revising the Commercial Policies.