Job Class Specification for:
Class Specification Schematic Number: 9100003
Positions in this class perform a variety of semi-skilled work
associated with gardening activities including the planting, transplanting, cultivation
and general care of flowers, shrubs, trees, plants and landscape areas.
Distinguishing Characteristics of the Class:
This is the entry level position in the Gardener series which, under
close supervision, performs general gardening activities such as weeding, raking, pruning,
mulching, fertilizing, transplanting, and clean up of landscaped areas. Positions work on
landscape construction, landscape maintenance, street tree planting, or maintenance crews.
A basic knowledge of methods, materials, procedures, tools, and
equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required. Tasks are usually clear
cut and call for strict compliance with existing guidelines. Contacts with the public is
occasional and incidental to the performance of the work.
Examples of Work:
- Assists in the propagating, planting, cultivating, watering, and fertilizing of flowers,
plants, shrubs, trees, and other plant materials.
- Plants bulbs, annuals, perennials, ground cover, shrubs, and trees.
- Under supervision, operates spray equipment to apply herbicides and pesticides to
shrubs, trees, lawns, and planting areas, and inside electrical substation fences.
- Transplants and prunes trees and shrubs.
- Prepares, plants, and maintains planting beds; seeds lawn areas and cuts and transplants
- Waters, fertilizes, mows, aerates, picks up litter, and generally maintains lawn areas.
- Operates motor vehicles to, between, and from assigned work locations.
- Maintains required records; prepares necessary reports.
- Performs other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
Required to lift objects weighing 50 pounds or less. Requires handling or working
with toxic/hazardous substances. Required to work outdoors in all types of weather.
Required to work in areas of high vehicular and/or pedestrian traffic.
One year gardening experience (Combination of education, training and
experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability).
Licensing and Other Requirements:
Current Washington State driver's license.
This description was prepared to indicate the kinds of activities and
levels of work difficulty required of positions in this class. It is not intended as a
complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.
Class adopted January 2, 1991.
Date posted 7/19/1999
Return to Search Page