Health Plans: Seattle City Employees' Retirement System (SCERS) Retirees
This page covers healthcare options for SCERS retirees and their eligible dependents. For information on the pension plan, please visit the SCERS web page at http://www.seattle.gov/retirement .
View the recorded Health Plan Options for Retiring Employees presentation (25 minutes).
Considering a City-Sponsored health plan? Please see the below suggested timeline and FAQs.
|3 Months - 1 Year Before Your Retirement Date
At Least 60 - 90 Days Before Your Retirement Date
| At Least 30 Days Before Your Retirement Date
|At Least 60 Days of Receiving COBRA Notification
- Consider attending Health Plan Options for Retiring Employees. Register online through Cornerstone.
- Schedule an appointment with a Retirement Specialist by calling (206) 386-1293. You will receive a health plan information packet at the meeting.
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B on www.socialsecurity.gov if you or your spouse/domestic partner are age 65 or more before or when you retire. You must provide a copy of your Medicare card in order to enroll on a City-sponsored plan.
- Notify your department's benefits representative of your retirement date.
- Consider your COBRA and retiree health plan options.
- Submit completed forms in your health plan information packet and premium payments to the Benefits Unit, which administers the retiree health plans.
- Submit your COBRA election form if you decide to continue active health plan coverage.
Once you are enrolled on a City-Sponsored plan, remember to:
- Watch your home mail for an open enrollment packet in November
- If enrolled in COBRA, enroll in a retiree plan at least 30 days before COBRA ending.
- Enroll in Medicare Parts A and B and, if desired, in a Medicare Advantage plan through the City 60-90 days before you and/or your spouse turn 65.
- Notify the Benefits Unit within 30 days of any Qualifying Life Event such as divorce, legal separation, marriage, new dependent child or death
- Notify the Retirement Office if you move by completing the change of address form
Premium rate sheet for SCERS retiree medical plans
Premium rate sheet for COBRA plans
Medical plan information if you are an under age 65 retiree:
2019 Under Age 65 Retiree Benefit Highlights
Medical plan information if you are an age 65 or older retiree (Medicare-eligible):
2019 Age 65 and Over Benefit Highlights
If you have questions about the retiree dental plan, please contact
If you have questions about the SCERS retiree health plans, please contact
If you have questions about your pension check, please contact