Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More This Department
Link to Personnel Home Page
FLEXIBLE PrintPrint Page Content
 About SDHR
 Employee Timesheet
 City Employment
 SDHR Resources
 Employee Services
 Employee Verification
Flexible Spending Accounts

Health FSA Change - $500 Carryover
The IRS modified the "use it or lose it" rule for Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts (Health FSAs). This change permits employees to carry over up to $500 of unused amounts remaining in their Health FSAs at year-end into the next year. Current Health FSA participants received a letter about the change along with responses to frequently asked questions. Here are updated FAQs. Contact your department's benefits representative if you have questions.

General Information

By setting up a Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), you can set aside pretax dollars to pay for expenses not otherwise covered. A Day Care FSA can pay for eligible dependent care (day care) expenses for your child, disabled spouse or dependent parent while you and your spouse work. A Health Care FSA can help pay for expenses not covered by your health plans, such as deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and services such as orthodontia that exceed the plan maximum.

The maximum you can contribute to a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is $2,500 per employee; for a Day Care FSA, it's $5,000 per household. You can enroll in FSAs as a new employee or every year during Open Enrollment.

See a recorded presentation for more general FSA information, or review a copy of the FSA Welcome Kit.

Significant features of FSAs:

  • You do not pay federal or social security taxes on funds you put in these accounts. As a result, your taxable income is reduced and your taxes are lower.
  • The tradeoff for the lower taxes is -- if you don't use up all the funds during the year, you may lose any amounts remaining in the account at year-end.
  • Your FSA choices DO NOT roll over from one year to the next; you must re-enroll each year during Open Enrollment to have an account the following year.

To understand how FSAs work, see:

Because of the pretax benefit, FSAs are governed by the Internal Revenue Service Code. For details on current rules, see the following documents posted on

  • Publication 502: Medical and Dental Expenses
  • Publication 503: Child and Dependent Care Expenses
  • Publication 969: Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans

Requesting Reimbursement

As you incur eligible expenses, submit your 2015 reimbursement request form to Flex-Plan Services, the plan administrator. Include a copy of an itemized bill(s) or receipt(s) with the completed reimbursement form. Completed requests for reimbursements may be mailed, faxed or uploaded through the Flex-Plan Services website.

See next section on "Setting up Your Online Account".

Requests for reimbursement will be processed as they are received by Flex-Plan Services. To request that your reimbursements be deposited directly into your bank account, submit the Benefits Card/Direct Deposit Request Form to Flex-Plan Services with the requested information. Your final request for reimbursement MUST be received by Flex-Plan Services no later than March 31 of the following year.

Contact information for Flex-Plan Services:

Mail: Flex-Plan Services, Inc.
PO Box 53250
Bellevue, WA 98015-3250

Phone: 425-452-3500 or 1-800-669-FLEX

Fax: 425-451-7002 or 1-866-535-9227


Setting up Your Online Account

View your Flexible Spending account balance after setting up your online account through Flex-Plan Services' web site:

  • Call FPS to provide the email address you want to use for identification and communication
  • Go to
  • Select the "Participant" link to direct you to the participant information page.
  • Select "Register with".
  • Enter your last name, first initial.
  • Enter your email address.
  • Enter the Company Code: CS1
  • Choose a User Name
  • Enter your date of birth.

Do not forget to review and accept the Terms and Conditions. Shortly after registering for online access, you will receive an email confirmation with a temporary password.

Phone: 425-452-3500 or 1-800-669-FLEX

Fax: 425-451-7002 or 1-866-535-9227


Mail: Flex-Plan Services, Inc.
PO Box 53250
Bellevue, WA 98015-3250

The Benefits Card

The health care flexible spending account debit card, or "Benefits Card", enables you to pay for eligible health expenses directly from your health FSA so you don't have to wait for reimbursement. You must still retain your receipts -- in some cases, you will need to provide receipts to substantiate that you have used your card for an eligible expense. Flex-Plan Services will notify you if a receipt is required. You can check your claims on your online account (see above) to see if a receipt is needed.

See Benefits Card - Employee Overview. Request a debit card by completing the Benefits Card/Direct Deposit Request Form. Send the form to Flex Plan Services at:

Fax: 425-451-7002

Mail: Flex-Plan Services, Inc.
PO Box 53250
Bellevue, WA 98015-3250

Please allow 4 -6 weeks to receive your card(s) in the mail. Once you have received your card, you may access your Benefits Card account online at