Short Term Disability

All regular full-time employees accumulate 12 days of sick leave per calendar year (part-time employees earn a pro-rated amount) starting from the date of regular appointment to City service. Sick leave accumulates with no maximum balance. It is expected that employees will use sick leave judiciously, and will accumulate enough hours to cover a short-term accident or illness. If an accident occurs while you are on the job, you will be covered by Workers' Compensation.

Long Term Disability

The City provides Basic Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance, underwritten by Standard Insurance Company, at no cost to employees. Upon hire or during any open enrollment period, you may purchase Supplemental Long Term Disability insurance. If you choose to purchase this coverage after your hire date (during open enrollment) the waiting period for pre-existing conditions is longer. You will not receive any benefits for 24 months for a Disability caused or contributed to by a Preexisting Condition that you received treatment for during the 180 days before your coverage starting.

View the certificate of insurance for more details.


The basic LTD policy will combine with other income sources, if any, to provide you with 60% of the first $667 of your pre-disability earnings up to a maximum benefit of $400 per month while you are unable to work.


The additional LTD protection will combine with other income sources, if any, to provide you with 60% of your monthly base pay over $667 up to a maximum of $8,333 per month.

How Much Will Supplemental Disability Coverage Cost?

The cost for this additional level of earnings protection is figured according to the following formula:

  • Subtract $667 from your base monthly pay. Multiply the remaining amount by .00585.
  • For example, if your base monthly pay is $2,000, your monthly premium would be $7.79 per month. ($2,000 - $667 = $1,333 x .00585 =$7.79/month)

Note: Disability Insurance information for LEOFF II Police and Fire sworn employees is available through your union.

Converting Disability Coverage

Your Long-Term Disability (LTD) coverage ends the last day of the month in which you separate from City employment. You may buy LTD conversion insurance if you were insured under the City's LTD plan for at least one year. Apply in writing to Standard Insurance Company and pay the first premium within 31 days of the date you lose City coverage. Request long-term disability conversion materials by completing the Request Form.

Printed: 4/15/2021 11:01AM