|Parks||Centers & Pools||Activities||Reservations & Permits||Projects & Planning||A - Z Index|
Park Improvements on the Reservoir Cover
A design team, including artist Douglas Hollis, developed the Olmsted-inspired improvements to the newly created four acres of park land on the reservoir cover include a fountain, texture pool, and reflecting pool; promenade paths, landscaping, an irrigation system, and lighting. This new park site invites walking, sitting, reading, contemplation, and informal sports in the meadow.
Earlier phases at Cal Anderson Park included reconstruction of the reservoir with a hard lid and construction of the new shelterhouse, plaza and public toilets. These improvements were identified in the 1999 park master plan, developed with substantial community participation.
Under this project a number of park improvements were constructed above and adjacent to Lincoln Reservoir. Lincoln Reservoir is located in the north half of Cal Anderson Park.
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) has reconstructed Lincoln Reservoir with a hard cover over the reservoir. Seattle Parks and Recreation, in coordination with SPU and the Seattle Office of Arts and Culture, has constructed park improvements above and adjacent to the rebuilt reservoir. Park improvements include a large water feature (fountain, texture pool, and reflecting pool), promenade, paths, landscaping, irrigation, and site lighting.
For information on related projects, see the Cal Anderson Shelterhouse project page and the Cal Anderson Play Area and Other Improvements project page.
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) replaced the open-air Lincoln Reservoir with a new underground lidded reservoir to comply with water quality regulations. The park now extends above the reservoir, increasing the size of the useable park space by 4+ acres. SPU did the project in two steps: SPU’s “Schedule 1” work (completed in 2003) is located within the “Olive Corridor” (between the Olive Street right of way and the reservoir). Schedule 1 included installation of a large valve vault and piping connection work that had to be completed before the existing reservoir could be taken out of service. SPU’s “Schedule 2” work is located in the area north of the Olive Corridor. Under Schedule 2 the reservoir itself was replaced and park above and adjacent to the reservoir was constructed.
A master plan for park improvements was finalized in October 1999 after extensive public involvement. The Seattle Parks Board, Seattle Design Commission, and the Seattle Landmarks Board endorsed the master plan. One of the most prominent elements of the master plan is the water feature.
The park is an Olmsted-designed Seattle Historic Landmark. Specific elements of the site are protected, including the gate house and some of the landscaping.
Cal Anderson Park includes Lincoln Reservoir and Bobby Morris Playfield. Lincoln Reservoir was built after the Great Seattle Fire of 1889 and put to use in 1901. Originally named Lincoln Park by the City Council in 1901, Bobby Morris Playfield was one Seattle’s first playgrounds, opening in 1908.
In 1922, the Park Board renamed it "Broadway Playfield" after the main street and neighborhood school to avoid confusion with a new major park in West Seattle which was to be named Lincoln.
In 1980, the playfield was renamed Bobby Morris, after a beloved Capitol Hill coach and who also served as King County Auditor for many years. In 2003, the entire site was named, "Cal Anderson Park" after the state legislator from this area. The playfield retains its name.
( RETURN TO TOP )
Community organizations and individuals were extensively involved in development of the park master plan, securing funding for the project, and the design process. The most active community groups were Groundswell Off Broadway and Friends of Seattle's Olmsted Parks.
( RETURN TO TOP )
< A-Z Projects List < Acquisition < Development < Project Map
| Updated 07/06/2009 09:48
|Home | Partnerships | Park Board | Volunteer | FAQ | Parkways | Facebook | @SeattleParks | Flickr|