|Parks||Centers & Pools||Activities||Reservations & Permits||Projects & Planning||A - Z Index|
104 17th Ave S, Seattle WA 98144
Parks and Green Spaces Levy funding was $3 million;
$365,000 from 2010 Major Maintenance Funds;
$449,000 from a State Building for Arts Grant;
$140,440 from a prior renovation project
Planning: Through June 2009
Design: July 2009 - August 2010
Construction: September 2010 - March 2012
Completion: March 2012
Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center is housed in what was formerly the Jewish Synagogue of Chevra Bikur Cholim. The building is designated as a historical landmark subject to protection by city ordinance. The building was designed by B. Marcus Priteca, a well known Seattle architect. Priteca's plans were completed in early 1913 and in August 1915 the synagogue was dedicated. The building is a commanding polygonal structure of tan brick the white terra cotta detailing.
The Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center was established in the building in 1969, and became a program of Seattle Parks and Recreation in 1972.
The primary space in the building is the theater space, which has fixed seats with a capacity of 285 individuals. Within the lower part of the original building is a large activity hall which can accommodate almost 300 individuals.
A single story addition to the south side of the building was constructed in 1961. In 1971, a second story was added to the south addition. At the same time, the interior of the auditorium was renovated, replacing balcony area with seating. Another addition was added in 1991 on the east side of the auditorium, together with seismic retrofit improvements. A final addition was added in 2003 to the southwest corner of the auditorium.
In general, the collective additions provide administrative offices and support spaces for the center, and provides barrier free access to the performing arts theater. The building is currently used year-round, functioning as an important cultural resource for the community.
New Seismic Upgrades Proposed
A study was completed in 2008, and provided a performance based seismic evaluation documenting the likely performance of the building during a seismic event. The study identified a number of deficiencies, and provided a series of recommendations for improving the seismic performance of the building.
New Electrical Service Upgrades Proposed
The same 2008 study identified the need for additional electrical power to accommodate theater operations. The recommendation of this study was for a new 1,200 amp electrical service to be installed, replacing the existing 800 amp service.
Renovation to Interior Spaces
The interior theater space is used continuously for live productions representing local, regional, and international performing artists. Additional interior upgrades will enhance these uses by providing improved restroom facilities, upgrades to the lobby floor and main entrance, upgrades to the sound and lighting booth, including ventilation, and improvements to theatrical dressing rooms.
*Note: To view a PDF, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it for free at www.adobe.com.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
104 17th Ave S
Seattle WA 98144
The ribbon cutting event will feature opera, jazz, a youth string ensemble and spoken word. LHPAC’s dance partners will be rehearsing in the Grand Rehearsal Hall on the new sprung floor.
800 Maynard Ave S, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98134
|Home | Partnerships | Park Board | Volunteer | FAQ | Parkways | Facebook | @SeattleParks | Flickr|