in the UW Botanic Gardens at Washington Park Arboretum
Address: 1075 Lake Washington Blvd E, Seattle WA 98112 > directions
Contact the Japanese Garden: (206) 684-4725
Find us on Facebook
Click to skip down to:
The Japanese Garden is now open for the 2014 season. We are excited to have you come visit us, please see our hours and admission information below!
For information regarding events, programs and tea demonstrations download the Garden Brochure.
» 2014 Garden Brochure
During winter of 2013-2014, the Japanese Garden went under construction to restore and improve the park’s water features. Capital Improvements included lining the small head pools at the base of the stream and waterfall with a concrete bottom and redefined shoreline, replacing the pump system with larger capacity pumps that are easier to operate, installing light weight lids at the pump vault and improving the screening system at the pond overflow. The renovations have resulted in cleaner water, easier sediment removal and made the system safer and easier to maintain.
HOURS - 2014 Season
March 1 – March 30 Tues – Sun 10 am – 5 pm
March 31 – Sept 21 Mon-Sun 10 am – 7 pm
Sept 22 – Sept 30 Mon – Sun 10 am – 5 pm
Oct 1 – Nov 2 Tues – Sun 10 am – 5 pm
Nov 3 – Nov 30 Tues – Sun 10 am – 4 pm
NOTE: The Garden is closed on Mondays in March, October, & November.
* Garden closing times are subject to weather, available light, and impacts of daylight savings time.
* Admission rates and Garden activities vary according with our events schedule.
ABOUT THE GARDEN
Located within the Washington
is a 3 1/2 acre formal garden designed and constructed under the supervision
of world-renowned Japanese garden designer Juki Iida in 1960.
» Japanese Garden Plant
Trail Map - Japanese
Trail Map - Spanish
Adults 18-64: $6
Youths 617, Senior Adults 65+, College students with ID, &
Children 0-5: FREE
tour & school fees
Admission restrictions: In order to preserve the
unique nature of this garden, and ensure access for all, we do not allow
picnicking, weddings, tripods, or pets.
Public Tours: The Japanese Garden offers public tours free with admission; April through October, Monday - Friday (starts at 12:30 p.m.), and Saturday/Sunday (from 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.). All tours start from the main gate, and are led by Arboretum Foundation Unit 86 Docents. These tours provide an educational introduction to the culture and history of the Seattle Japanese Garden.
Private and School Group Tours: Available upon request with
advance notice and payment of guide reservation fee. Contact the ticket
booth for details.
Seattle Japanese Garden 2014 Membership Program
Seattle Parks and Recreation’s Japanese Garden offers varied annual passes which allows members to enjoy the Garden on all open dates (except for special events).
The options are:
$30: Family/Dual Membership
A family membership entitles the cardholder to:
- Two membership cards (One primary card with an individual’s name on it and a second card for an adult guest of the primary cardholder).
- Admission for one adult per card, per visit, plus up to three kids younger than 18.
- Two adults, per membership, per visit.
$20: Individual Membership
An individual membership entitles the cardholder to:
- One membership card.
- Admission for one adult per card, per visit.
$15 Student Membership
A student membership entitles the cardholder to:
- One membership card (You need to show a student ID from any college/university/ educational institution when you purchase this membership to get the student discount).
- One student per card per visit.
$75: Photographer Membership
A photographer membership entitles the cardholder to:
- One membership card.
- One photographer per card per visit.
Benefits of a Photographer Membership include:
- One year’s admission to the Garden and photo shoots (without tripods) during Garden operating hours.
- Designated monthly photographer members-only access hours during eight months of the year (from March through November). The Garden will be open on these dates in 2014 for Members: every third Thursday each month from 8 to10 a.m. (March – October) and every first Saturday each month from 8 to 10 a.m. (March – November).
- Full rights to sell your Seattle Japanese Garden photos.
- Members will receive invitations to participate in additional sessions during peak Spring and Fall color, and will be advised of dates and times when scheduled.
- The opportunity to use the Garden’s meeting room (subject to fees, approvals, and availability)
- 2014 photographer schedule:
March 22, 27
April 5 and 17
May 3 and 15
June 7 and 19
July 5 and 24
August 2 and 21
September 6 and 18
October 4 and 16
November 1, 20
Tateuchi Community Room Rentals
The Seattle Japanese Garden has a small meeting room available to rent
on site with a maximum capacity of 49 people. The rental rates for 2014
are $35 per hour for the room, with a two hour minimum. A staffing fee of $25 per hour is also required. There is an additional
application fee of $25 along with security deposits and other building
monitor fees depending on the nature of the rental. Access to
the garden is through the main gate during operational hours.
Sorry we are unable to rent the garden grounds for private events.
The stone bridges, stepping stones, and rough terrain necessary to
preserve the authenticity of the Japanese landscaping render some areas
inaccessible to visitors with physical limitations. Pathways in the
garden are surfaced with gravel which may result in some inconvenience
for wheelchair and walker users. The garden does have some ADA access
To view a PDF, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download it for free at www.adobe.com.
April 4, 2014