Ward Springs Park
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Ward Springs Park is a new neighborhood park located at the corner of 4th Ave and Ward St. at the base of Queen Anne. Formerly belonging to SPU, this property provided all the water to Queen Anne. An historic pump house on the site displays part of the mechanism that performed this feat. A curved path leads by a play area, open lawn and over a dry streambed. The park has a spectacular view of the Space Needle and downtown. Pro-Parks Levy, Neighborhood Matching Fund, King County and community money funded the design and construction of this new park. Ward Springs Park officially opened on June 1. 2002. Ken Bounds and Peter Steinbrueck celebrated this event with approximately 50 adults and children. A woman who remembered the heyday of the water pumping shared her memories and the children who participated in the early design stages of the park talked about their experiences. This was a wonderful party and a good time was had by all.Acreage: 0.34
The land for the park was transferred from another City of Seattle department to Seattle Parks and Recreation in April of 2001. For many years, the property was the site of a brick pump house that pumped 80,000 gallons of water a day to Seattle residents. The pump house, now inactive, remains on the site along with a playground, paths, landscaping and a dry streambed.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.
PROJECTS & PLANNING
Pro Parks Levy