Lowman Beach Park
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Lowman Beach is small, but like beaches everywhere, it has some surprises...it includes about 300 feet of rocky, saltwater shoreline a few blocks north of Lincoln Park. Above the beach is an acre of grass with tennis courts, swings...view of the Olympics, Alki Point, and Williams Point spread out in three directions. (Excerpt from Enjoying Seattle's Parks by Brandt Morgan.)Acreage: 4.1
Lowman Beach was a gift to the city in 1909 by the Yesler Logging Company. It was called Lincoln Beach until 1925, when the name was changed to avoid confusion with the larger Lincoln Park to the south. The name was given in honor of James D. Lowman, who first came to Seattle as a teacher in 1887. In later years, he became wharf master for Henry Yesler, then went into the bookstore and printing business, and finally founded the Lowman and Hanford stationers and printing company. Lowman also served two years as park commissioner, from 1896 to 1898.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.
PROJECTS & PLANNING
Murray Combined Sewer Overflow Project