Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More
I want to search within the following: Seattle.gov This Department
Seattle Parks and Recreation Seattle Parks and Recreation Home Page Seattle Parks and Recreation - About Us Seattle Parks and Recreation - Contact Us
Christopher Williams, Acting Superintendent.
  Parks   Centers & Pools Activities Reservations & Permits Projects & Planning A - Z Index
 
A-Z Park List
Search Parks by Feature
Fields & Athletic Facilities
Gardens
Children's Play Areas
Trails
Off-Leash Areas
Park History
Park Rangers
Smoking Ban
Seattle Parks and Recreation

Lincoln Park

 
Address: 8011 Fauntleroy Way SW, 98136 (Map It)
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509

Click to skip down to:


PARK FEATURES

HOURS

4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.

ABOUT THE PARK

Lincoln Park is West Seattles major multi-purpose park a nose-shaped bluff on Puget Sound just north of the Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal. Switchbacks on the north and gentle trails to the south connect a mile of seawalled, rocky beaches to a bluff of grassy forests and meadows with play and picnic areas galore. Amazingly diverse for its size, Lincoln includes 4.6 miles of walking paths, 3.9 miles of bike trails, five picnic shelters, acres of playfields, and an outdoor heated saltwater pool and bathhouse.

(Excerpt from "Enjoying Seattle's Parks" by Brandt Morgan)

Acreage: 135.4

HISTORY

Lincoln Park was called Fauntleroy Park until 1922, when the city bought it. The popularity of the name Fauntleroy in this area springs from the passions of Lieutenant George Davidson, who was taking soundings off the bluff in 1857. Davidson had temporarily left his fiance', Ellinor Fauntleroy, back in Illinois.

The park was put together piecemeal over the years as West Seattle developed: as shelter in 1925; parking areas in 1928; a playground in 1930; seawalls, trails, fireplaces, and horseshoe pits during the Depression; and major additions just after WWII, as people streamed into the area to work in the burgeoning Boeing aircraft plant in the Duwamish Valley.

The heated, saltwater Colman Pool began as a tide-fed swimming hole in 1929, and was periodically hosed out by the fire department to rid it of accumulating mud and debris. It became so popular that residents began asking for a concrete bottom and sides - much to the chagrin of the city, which wanted to abandon it entirely. The pool took final concrete form in 1941, when Kenneth Colman, son of Laurence, donated $150,000 to have it built in honor of his father.

(Edited from the files of Don Sherwood, 1916-1981, Park Historian.)

To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.

VOLUNTEER

In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.
» volunteer in a park!

PROJECTS & PLANNING

Major Maintenance
- Pool renovation

Plans & Policies
- City Park Marine Reserves Rule

Vegetation Management Plan
- Lincoln Park Vegetation Management Plan

























 Home | Partnerships | Park Board | Volunteer | FAQ | Parkways Parkways Icon | Facebook Facebook Icon | @SeattleParks Twitter Icon | Flickr Flickr Icon