Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARKAcreage: 3.63
In 1890 the King County government built a courthouse on this hilltop. The hill became known as “Profanity Hill” after years of lawyers packing their briefcases and law books up the hill to the courthouse. When the courts were transferred back down the hill to 3rd and James, the old courthouse was converted to prison cells, apparently no better than ancient dungeons. Upon completion of a new jail this building was torn down in 1928 and replaced with the King County Hospital. The Seattle Times held a contest for the best name submitted for the new hospital and of 6500 suggestions, the winner was a secretary in the Seattle Park Department, Mrs. Elva Patterson, with the name of Harbor View.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.