Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARKAcreage: 0.03
Boren Place was named for an adjacent Avenue, which was named for the pioneer Boren family who built the first cabin across from Alki, in what is now downtown Seattle. Louisa Boren was also the first unmarried girl to come to Seattle in 1852. In 1890 the property was deeded to the city by Nellie Scurry et.al. with the understanding that it would be used for the site of the Boren Avenue Engine House. Eventually the site of the firehouse was moved to the intersection of Terry Avenue and Alder Street. This was Firestation #3, which was a horse-drawn unit that operated from 1903 until 1924. This structure is now the oldest fire station in Seattle. It was deactivated upon the advent of motor trucks. In 1909 a Supreme Court decision sustained the right for use of the Boren Place property for any city purpose, and was subsequently then transferred to the Park Board in 1912. At that time the site had 2 benches, 3 trees, and a view of the Cascades and Mt. Rainier.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.