Cal Anderson Park
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTSCal Anderson Park Alliance
CAPA is a new organization convened by Seattle Parks and Recreation which brings together citizens and parks employees who are dedicated to generating creative, innovative activities, programs and events to activate Cal Anderson Park.
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Recognized by Forbes.com as one of the nation’s best parks in 2009, Cal Anderson Park includes a fountain, texture pool and reflecting pool, promenade paths, landscaping, a shelterhouse, a plaza, a children's play area, a wading pool, a lighted sports field, and a number of oversize chess boards. This open park invites walking, sitting, reading, contemplation, informal sports in the meadow, and organized sports on the athletic field.
For walkers: the circumference of the park on the sidewalks, including Bobby Morris Playfield, is 3,325 lineal feet, or about 2/3 of a mile. An interior loop on gravel paths, using the old concrete gatehouse as the most southern edge and passing the cone water feature to the north, is 1,700 lineal feet, or about 1/3 of a mile.Acreage: 7.37
Cal Anderson Park includes Lincoln Reservoir and Bobby Morris Playfield.
Lincoln Reservoir was constructed following the Great Seattle Fire of 1889. It was put in use in 1901. In 2000 it was taken out of service and replaced by underground tanks. The park reopened in 2005 with four additional acres of useable open space.
Originally named Lincoln Park by the City Council in 1901, it is the first park designed by the Olmsted Brothers in Seattle and was one of the first playgrounds to be developed (1907). For more information on the Olmsted legacy, please see www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/Olmsted.htm.
In 1922, the Park Board renamed it "Broadway Playfield" after the neighborhood’s main street and neighborhood school to avoid confusion with a new major park acquired in West Seattle which was to be named Lincoln.
In 1980, the playfield was renamed Bobby Morris, after a beloved Capitol Hill coach who also served as King County Auditor for many years. In 2003, the entire site was named, "Cal Anderson Park" after the state legislator from this area. The ballfield retains its name.
In 2005, after Seattle Public Utilities covered the reservoir, Parks worked with the Berger Partnership to make the improvements to the park, with funding from the Pro Parks Levy, state grants, and other sources. In September 2005, the park reopened with greater open space, a new water feature, improved play areas, athletic facilities, restrooms, and meeting space.
For more information on the SPU reservoir covering program please click here.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
Trip Planner brought to you by King County Metro Transit
From I-5 Southbound
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.
PROJECTS & PLANNING