Karen O'Connor: (206) email@example.com
Children planting native plants. Photo by Art Wolfe.
Celebrate the 2013 Denny Awards!
Please click the image for the full flyer.
Thank you to everyone who nominated volunteers for a Denny Award. Please save the date Tuesday, December 3, 2013 for the award ceremony at MOHAI at 6 p.m.
“Volunteers are one of our most important resources,” said Acting Superintendent Christopher Williams. “Without the help of the community, we could not run the first rate park and recreation system that Seattle depends on.”
The Denny Awards acknowledge and honor the crucial role volunteers play in neighborhood parks, community centers, and recreation programs throughout the city. In 2012, more than 40,000 volunteers donated over 426,000 hours of service to Seattle Parks and Recreation.
They do everything from pulling invasive ivy and planting native trees in our parks to coaching kids’ sports to working as docents at selected parks to serving on various advisory councils and boards.
The name of the awards reflects the early commitment by the Denny family to the preservation of parkland and open space for public use and enjoyment. David T. and Louisa Denny donated land that became the first Seattle park, Denny Park, in 1864.
The nominee must have:
- Demonstrated exceptional stewardship to parks and/or recreation;
- Provided stellar leadership related to enhancing and preserving parks and/or recreation programs;
- Demonstrated a significant personal commitment of time and effort to assist Seattle Parks and Recreation, and
- Gained respect of community peers for efforts to help Seattle Parks and Recreation.
2013 Denny Award Recepients
- Mary Ann T. Wiley - Special Award
- Jim Neff - Healthy Parks Healthy You Award
- Birding Volunteers at Discovery Park - Wildlife Advocate Award
- Ryther Aspiring Youth Program - Youth Community Stewardship Award
- Alfred Love, Jr. - Making a Difference Award
- Friends of Cheasty Greenspace at Mt. View, Co-founders Mary DeJong and Andrea Ostrovsky - Conservation and Environmental Stewardship Award
- Cheryl Klinker - Superintendent's Award
Past Denny Award Recipients
For more information, contact Karen O’Connor, Seattle Parks and Recreation, 206-684-7241, or karen.o’firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 21, 2013