Ed Murray, Mayor
SUBJECT: Back to School Safety Tips
8/29/2008 1:00:00 PM
Police Media Relations (206) 684-5520
Back to School Safety Tips
SEATTLE—It’s that time of year again. School has started and the Seattle Police Department would like to remind drivers, pedestrians, and students to be extra cautious before, during, and after school hours. Here are a few tips for students:
- Pay special attention to all traffic signals and crossing guards
- Never cross the street against a red light, even if you don’t see any traffic coming
- Wear reflective clothing and bright colors so drivers can see you easier
- Plan a safe walking route to school or the bus stop. Choose the most direct way with the fewest street crossings and if possible, with intersections that have traffic control lights
- Try to arrive early for buses, stay out of the street, and wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching the street
Drivers need to be very aware that children will be walking to and from schools and bus stops. As autumn approaches, there will be less daylight and children will be out early in the morning and more difficult to see.
A few reminders for drivers and other vehicle operators:
- Be watchful around schools and bus stops for children running into the street
- Watch for children entering the street near buses and between cars
- When driving your children to school, drop them off and pick them up as close to the school as possible. Don’t leave until they are safely on school grounds.
- Drive slowly when approaching children riding bicycles and walking near the street
- When driving near children and school zones, expect the unexpected
- Watch your speed when entering school zones (School zone speed violations are $189.00)
This year, the Seattle Police Department will be deploying a “speed van” to assist in the enforcement of the traffic code. The speed van will be parked in or around school zones and has the ability to record the speed of moving vehicles and also photographs the violator, similar to a red light camera. The goal of the speed van is to enhance our enforcement abilities while freeing up other resources to focus on our mission of promoting traffic safety.
The Seattle Police Department wishes everyone a safe school year!