Ed Murray, Mayor
SUBJECT: 2nd-Annual Marina Fire & Life Safety Fair
9/23/2004 1:09:00 PM
Kyle Moore (206) 386-1679
2nd-Annual Marina Fire & Life Safety Fair
Date: Saturday, September 25
Time: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (best time for photos and video is noon)
Location: Gas Works Park Marina, 2143 North Northlake Way
Gas Works Park Marina and the Seattle Fire Department have teamed together to coordinate the 2nd Annual Marina Fire & Life Safety Fair, an event focused on marine safety for boat owners and marina managers.
Fire Marshal John Nelson hopes this event "will motivate boat owners to reduce risks and marina managers to prepare emergency plans in order to lessen the chance of a catastrophic fire destroying their property". Boat owners and marina managers need to understand what they can do to mitigate these fire and life safety hazards. The fiberglass and fuels can cause marine fires to burn very fast, very hot and can cause millions of dollars in damages.
Gas Works Park Marina will also showcase their proactive approach to fire emergencies. As a community they have worked together to prepare an emergency plan that addresses fire prevention, marina evacuation and recovery efforts.
The Marine Fire & Life Safety Fair will also feature displays by the Seattle Fire and Police Department's.
- The Fire Boat Alki crew will provide tours of the boat and discuss Seattle Fire Department's Marine Firefighting capabilities.
- Seattle Police Harbor Patrol 4 will be on hand to answer questions and discuss their role on the waters of Lake Union.
- Fire Engine 17 will demonstrate a hose lay down the dock to reinforce the need to keep docks clear of debris and unnecessary storage.
- Seattle Fire Department's Technical Rescue Team will display equipment used by the Dive Team.
- 30 -Seattle Fire Department