Ed Murray, Mayor
2/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
Jason Kelly (206) 684-8379
Uy Joaquin (206) 684-0155
Call for Applications for the Immigrant and Refugee Commission
SEATTLE - The City of Seattle is opening up the application process for new commissioners to serve on the Immigrant and Refugee Commission. The Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs was created in January 2012 and this commission is one of the many important ways in which the City ensures that they are actively engaging and working with immigrant and refugee communities.
With the unprecedented growth in the foreign-born population since the 1980s, Seattle has become an increasingly multi-cultural city, rich with diversity. In keeping with the Race and Social Justice Initiative, Mayor Edward B. Murray and the Seattle City Council want to ensure that city government provides high-quality customer service to all, including immigrants and refugees living and working in Seattle, and that residents are engaged in all aspects of Seattle's civic, economic and cultural life. To this end, the Immigrant and Refugee Commission was created in 2008.
Commissioners are appointed to two year terms, and duties include:
- Advising the Mayor, City Council, and city departments and offices on ways to enhance and improve access to city services and resources for immigrants and refugees, as well as strengthening opportunities for immigrants and refugees to participate in civic life.
- Advising the city on successful implementation of the Immigrant and Refugee Action Plan and on future updates to the plan.
- Advising all city departments and offices in matters affecting immigrants and refugees, as appropriate.
- Encouraging understanding between and among the various immigrant and refugee communities and the larger Seattle community.
- Advocating on behalf of immigrant and refugees in the larger Seattle community.
- Assisting in informing the direction of the Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs.
Applications for both Mayoral vacancies will be accepted through March 10, 2014. To apply, send a resume and a cover letter or short bio to IMR_OIRA@seattle.gov.
- 30 -