Mike McGinn (former Mayor)
SUBJECT: Mayor joins City Librarian in highlighting new additions to library collections
11/26/2012 1:00:00 PM
Mayor joins City Librarian in highlighting new additions to library collections
Thanks voters for 75,000 new books, materials and online resources available for children and adults in 2013
Mayor Mike McGinn joined community members and City Librarian Marcellus Turner at the Ballard Library to thank the voters of Seattle for their passage of the Library Levy and provide an overview of the new items and services the new levy makes available to the public in 2013.
"We want to thank the voters for approving the Library Levy" said Mayor Mike McGinn. "A good library system helps our kids learn and connects people to resources they need."
In 2013, levy funds will allow the library to purchase an additional 26,000 books and other media for our children’s collections. The combination of general funds and Levy funds will mean approximately 75,000 new books, materials and online resources for children in 2013.
The levy will also enable the library to:
- Buy more copies of popular materials to shorten wait times;
- Increase e-content by as many as 12,000 new files annually;
- Buy more subscriptions to give people free online access to resources such as homework help, business data, investment research, car maintenance manuals, language programs, consumer research, test preparation, health information and encyclopedias;
- Preserve current core services;
- Increase the number of items a person may place on hold to 50; and
- Put more Seattle Room special collections online so people can access the information from a computer anywhere.
All Mayor's Office press conferences, town halls and general public meetings are archived by Seattle Channel. Many town halls and press conferences are also broadcast live to the web. Sign up for The Reader, our office newsletter, at our website. And learn more about your neighbors and the mayor's activities on our blog.