Mike McGinn, Mayor
9/25/2012 12:00:00 PM
Sabra Schneider, (206) 684-8328
Evergreen Apps Challenge to award $75,000 in prizes
Apps developers vie for awards, including people's choice at the celebration on Oct. 1
Winners of the Evergreen Apps Challenge will be named on October 1, 2012, at City Hall. Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine will kick off the event with $75,000 in prizes awarded for the best new civic apps, including two people's choice awards. The people's choice awards will be decided by those in attendance and everyone who registers gets a vote.
"The intersection of technology and society inspire our storytelling at GeekWire, and this event combines these themes along with one that is close to my heart: doing well by doing good. I can't wait to see what the app developer community has created for this challenge," said Rebecca Lovell of GeekWire, who is emceeing the awards ceremony.
Registration is free at http://bit.ly/UQkLvy. The event will be held Monday, October 1, in the Bertha Knight Landes Room, Seattle City Hall, 600 4th Avenue, in Seattle, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Music and light refreshments will be provided.
Evergreen Apps Challenge is a joint initiative of the City of Seattle, Washington State's Broadband Office and King County to produce sustainable applications to help find new and useful ways to use data about our region. Goals of the competition are twofold: (1) to stimulate the development of applications that improve access to information, government services and government transparency, making it easier and more fun to visit, live and work in Washington; and (2) to stimulate economic development by encouraging innovation and the creation of new intellectual property with commercial potential by individuals, startups and small organizations. The challenge is funded primarily through the federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Seven judges from across the state will select the winning apps:
- Francis Benjamin serves on the Pullman City Council and chairs the Southeast Washington Economic Development Association and the Palouse Regional Transportation Planning Organization.
- Adam Gentz is responsible for system architecture, research and specification development for BizXchange.
- Monica Guzman was named one of the Society of Professional Journalists' 20 journalists to follow on Twitter as well as one of the Top 100 Women in Seattle Tech. Her columns appear weekly in Sunday's Seattle Times, on seattletimes.com, and on Northwest tech news site GeekWire.
- Susannah Malarkey has served as Executive Director of the Technology Alliance since its inception in 1996. She works with the TA Executive Committee and Board to develop and implement strategic initiatives that advance the organization's goals in education, research and entrepreneurship.
- Manny Medina is the CEO of GroupTalent, a platform that matches software projects with developers.
- Jason Preston is co-founder of Dent the Future, which explores the magic and science of visionary leadership and groundbreaking success. Dent, through a flagship conference of the same name, aims to translate the success of great leaders in business, politics, or charity into a set of lessons for those who would "put a dent" in the future.
- Bill Schrier is Deputy Director of the Center for Digital Government at www.eRepublic.com and formerly was Chief Technology Officer for the City of Seattle. Schrier was named one of Government Technology's 25 Doers, Dreamers and Drivers in 2008 and a Computerworld Premier 100 Leader for 2010.
Keynote speaker will be Conrad Saam, vice president of marketing for Urbanspoon, the most downloaded food and top three travel application. He has spoken at numerous SMX events, SEOmoz Pro Training and SearchFest conferences and is a regular lecturer at the University of Washington's MBA program.
Saam will speak about his views on data collection for building out comprehensive app coverage and the challenges of repeating the Urbanspoon story today.
Details on the Evergreen Apps Challenge are found at http://www.evergreenapps.org/. Join us on October 1 to celebrate the award winners, meet the judges and vote on people's choice awards!