Mike McGinn (former Mayor)
SUBJECT: McGinn updates Seattle Nightlife Initiative
12/28/2010 5:05:00 PM
McGinn updates Seattle Nightlife Initiative
SEATTLE - Mayor Mike McGinn today released a status report on his Seattle Nightlife Initiative, a group of policy proposals to increase public safety, help the local economy and improve urban vibrancy.
In remarks scheduled for this evening at Washington Hall, a historic Seattle ballroom, and in the written report, Mayor McGinn said that since announcing the Nightlife Initiative in July he has heard feedback from more than 2,400 residents.
Among the highlights:
- Residents and business owners alike appreciate the Initiative’s comprehensive approach to managing nightlife activity
- The Code Compliance Team has a 95 percent success rate resolving late-night club related issues
- The amplified sound threshold has been lowered to 65 dBC
- Three new late-night transportation alternatives are being launched
- Response to concerns regarding Race and Social Justice
The original proposal includes these eight components:
- Code compliance enforcement: Develop an assistance and enforcement strategy with nightlife businesses.
- Flexible liquor service hours: Develop a proposal for flexible liquor service hours.
- Noise ordinance enforcement: Adopt streamlined noise ordinance rules targeting chronic offenders.
- Security training requirements: Require regular SPD security training classes as part of the state’s Nightclub Liquor License approval and renewal.
- Precinct community outreach: Schedule regular precinct community outreach with nightlife businesses and residents.
- Professional development: Develop and encourage the adoption of best practices for nightlife businesses.
- Late-night transportation alternatives: Create accessible and safe late-night transportation options.
- Targeting public nuisances: Create a city ordinance to allow Seattle Police greater ability to manage patrons of nightlife establishments who contribute to public nuisances, disturbances and disorderly conduct.
# # #