The City plans to build a new police station with a multistory parking structure at a different location than the current north-end station near North Seattle College. "Predesign" – the first step in designing and building this new facility – concluded in the second quarter of 2014, followed by the "Schematic Design" phase. Schematic Design involves many things, including:
- Comparing different options for floor plan layouts, room sizes and configurations to optimize police functions and flow.
- Developing diagrams to understand how the building interacts with the surrounding streets, sidewalks and other buildings in the vicinity.
- Updating the project budget based on SPD's program requirements.
The City assembled an architecture and engineering team so building predesign could begin in 2014, instead of waiting for purchase of an actual site. SRG Partnership, chosen through a competitive "Request for Qualifications" process, is leading the architecture and engineering team. The facility will be constructed under the GC/CM process (general contractor/construction manager selected early in design process vs. traditional design-bid-build). FAS anticipates having the general contractor on board by the third quarter of 2015.
The preliminary plans for a new North Precinct Station, which are currently under development, call for:
- A 105,000 square foot building with a useful life of 30 to 50 years with a flexible layout that can accommodate growth based on staff projections for the year 2038.
- A building constructed to essential facility standards capable of withstanding an earthquake load higher than most buildings. These design specifications affect most components of a building to ensure an essential facility remains operable after an earthquake.
- Community meeting space that also can be used as an operations center in case of a disaster.
- On-site, multistory parking for patrol cars, visitors and staff.
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certified facility that includes public art.
Seattle Design Commission Reviews
The Seattle Design Commission advises the Mayor, City Council and City departments on the design of capital improvement projects, as well as projects on City land, in the City right-of-way or constructed with City dollars. See the Seattle Design Commission's North Precinct web page.
- March 5, 2015 - The project team shared program, conceptual plans and concepts for the overall shape and size of the building at the Seattle Design Commission meeting. The commissioners offered additional ideas for the design team to consider.
- May 15, 2014 - The project team shared program and site information. The commissioners offered additional ideas for the design team to consider.
The City will decide what to do with the old station through its normal property disposition process.