The federal Defense Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) mandates a process for
closing and realigning military installations within the U.S. In 2005, the President
and Congress approved a list of BRAC installations, including Fort Lawton. All 2005
BRAC closures and alignments are to be completed by Sept. 15, 2011, though the City
expects Fort Lawton will likely close in 2009.
The BRAC process is governed by federal laws and regulations. Read more about the
- BRAC Fact Sheet
- Fort Lawton Base Realignment & Closure
- Defense Base Closure and Realignment Act
Note: This is an unofficial compilation provided by the Department of Defense
General Counsel’s office, reflecting all amendments to the 1990 act as of
April 16, 2008. It is followed by a list of the amending acts. This version is provided
for convenience because there is no official online source that incorporates all
amendments. The 1990 act, as amended through 2006, is set out along with related
material as a note to 10 USC Section 2687 on the
U.S. House of Representatives website.
- Base Redevelopment and Realignment Manual - links to pdf document on the Department of Defense website
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Guidebook on Military Base Reuse and Homeless Assistance
- Department of Defense BRAC Regulations:
"Revitalizing Base Closure Communities and Community Assistance—Community
Redevelopment and Homeless Assistance" - Federal Register July 1, 1997
- City Council Ordinance 122502, authorizing acquisition of property - Sept. 24, 2007
- Federal Register July 7, 2006, naming
the City of Seattle as Local Reuse Authority
- "Nickels wants
Seattle to guide reuse of Ft. Lawton" - June 6, 2006 press release
- Federal Register May 9, 2006, announcing
page last updated: July 28, 2008
Army Schedule to Vacate Fort Lawton
As of March 2008, the Army plans to relocate 19 units to a new center at Fort Lewis, while two newly formed units will remain at Fort Lawton until August or September 2011. See below letters for further detail
- Dec. 6, 2008 Army letter
- Feb. 20, 2009 City's response
Final Plan Submitted
City Council approved the Fort Lawton Redevelopment Plan on Sept. 22, 2008. The entire package was submitted to the Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on Oct. 13, 2008.
A hard copy of the entire package submitted to DOD and HUD is available for public review at both the Central Library and the Magnolia Library.
Where is Fort Lawton?
- View Discovery Park aerial photo/map
- View Fort Lawton aerial photo
- View Fort Lawton map
- View zoning map
To receive updates via email about the Fort Lawton redevelopment planning process,
including public meetings, please email Laurie Ames.