How to Read Your Bill
If you need help interpreting your bill, this tour of your bill provides a section-by-section
explanation in easy-to-follow terms.
Account Number. This unique combination of numbers designates
utility, customer, and service (premise) address:
0 - 100000000 - 1000000
(utility #) - (customer #) - (premise #)
- Utility # - 1 = Seattle City Light; 2 = Seattle Public Utilities
- Customer # - up to 9 digits*
- Premises # - up to 7 digits
* Single-family residences will likely have the same customer number for
both Seattle Public Utilities and Seattle City Light.
Account Name. If you are both a Seattle Public Utilities and
Seattle City Light customer, your bill may reflect our effort to make the name
consistent for both utilities.
Messages. Look for messages about your current billing
statement, rate adjustments or utility activities that may affect you.
Expanded Usage Graph. The graph shows 2 years of consumption
history shown in average kilowatt-hour use per day. The numbers to the right
of the graph shows more detail to help you compare your usage to the same period
Detailed Billing Information. This section shows consumption
billed at City Light's various rate levels - 2 winter rate and 2 summer rate
In this example, this section shows:
- Base service charge every customer is charged regardless of consumption
- Consumption and charges at the lower winter rate level
- Consumption and charges at the higher winter rate level
You can also find:
- Meter information including meter number(s), previous & current readings
and reading dates, and total kilowatt hour usage.
- If your usage was based on an estimated reading, it will be shown here.
- Any additional charges (e.g., Project Share, Seattle Green Power).
Amount Due. You can quickly find how much is owed and when it