They look traditional on the outside, but what is inside each Blakeley Commons condominium is anything but. Each unit in this 106 unit complex features characteristics that have earned it a special certification for promoting a healthy, comfortable, cost-efficient living environment.
Blakeley Commons, to be unveiled Saturday, October 26, is located just north of University Village. The new complex was designed by Driscoll Architects to meet BUILT SMARTsm program requirements. BUILT SMARTsm is a program run by Seattle City Light to encourage builders to include comprehensive resource conservation in newly constructed multifamily buildings. The program's mission is to bring resource efficiency to all new construction multifamily buildings in Seattle to sustain the environment for future generations.
Some of the features that save natural resources, are cost-efficient, and are found in BUILT SMARTsm offerings are:
- More insulation than required by energy codes, meaning less heat loss and added comfort.
- Double-pane windows with argon gas between the panes for extra insulation value, which adds year-round comfort.
- High efficiency water heaters assure that the unit uses less energy.
- Healthy ventilation systems promote positive indoor air quality.
- State-of-the-art fluorescent lighting uses 75% less electricity than conventional lighting.
- Most construction and demolition debris was recycled.
Seattle City Light will provide an incentive of $79,000 to reimburse the builder, Intracorp, for some of the costs of the energy-saving additions. The BUILT SMARTsm program requires that each phase of construction passes a rigorous inspection.
The complex, located at 2901 NE Blakeley St, Seattle, will hold a Grand Opening and Open House on October 26 and 27 (information center located at 2920 NE Blakeley St.).
On Saturday, experts from the City of Seattle's BUILT SMARTsm program will showcase the numerous resource conservation features at Blakeley Commons. Those features enabled the community to earn special certification for promoting a healthy, comfortable, cost-efficient living environment.
The 106 units are offered for sale by ITW Real Estate Seattle. Brian Krueger is the designated broker (206) 728-4568.