Fall at Skagit Hydroelectric Project, Photo by Kevin Lidtka
Seattle City Light LARRY WEIS, General Manager and CEO
At Work in Your Neighborhood
MY ACCOUNT
Pay My Bill   

Project Details

Blue Ridge Conduit Installation: Phase I


Posting Date: 2/9/2016                

Contact: Lindsay Duke - Community Communications Officer (Olson Brothers)

Phone: 1-888-520-1179

PROJECT UPDATE (10/11/2017):

This project has been completed.

After Seattle City Light has completed their restoration work, SDOT will review and assess the road conditions in the Blue Ridge neighborhood. 

PROJECT OVERVIEW:

Underground electrical cables were originally installed in Blue Ridge in 1971-1972. In 2012, a Seattle City Light contractor tested and where possible, injected the cables with silicon to extend their life. Approximately 60% of the cable was suited to injection. The remaining 40% must now be replaced. The first step in doing that is installing conduit. City Light plans to hire a contractor to install conduit and associated work using open trench methods including new electrical vaults. 

CONSTRUCTION WORK AREA



PROJECT BENEFITS:

  • All of Blue Ridge will have a nearly new, more reliable electrical system when the project is completed.
  • The cable in the conduit will allow for shorter restoration times when outages occur.

PROJECT IMPACTS:

  • The contractor may be working in multiple locations at one time.
  • Maintenance power outages are required to do the work safely. Affected residents will be notified in advance before any outage.
  • Trenching for conduits will occur in the public right-of-way (e.g. street and planting strips). Trenches will be covered with steel plates at night.
  • All affected streets and landscaping will be restored and repaved in kind, per contract specifications. 
  • The contractor will work closely with Seattle Department of Transportation’s (SDOT) Urban Forestry group to ensure the protection of trees. SDOT staff may be onsite to monitor this work.
  • Customers can expect temporary parking and traffic restrictions. The contractor will work to limit traffic impacts.
  • City Light’s Resident Engineer will be on site daily to monitor the contractor.
  • The project includes a permanent street restoration plan that has been approved by the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT). This plan includes grinding off the top two inches of the existing pavement surface and replacing it with a new two-inch layer of asphalt. This restoration will only occur along the trenched path where Seattle City Light contracted crews are working in. In most cases, it does not include the full street. Roadway edges will also be repaired as part of this restoration.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Customers can contact Lindsay Duke, Olson Brothers Community Outreach Officer at 1-888-520-1179. Questions or comments can also be sent to blueridge@olsonbrothers.net

Information regarding tree protection and landscaping can be found on SDOT's Urban Forestry page.

For street repair questions outside of Seattle City Light's scope of work, please contact the SDOT Pothole and Street Repair Line at (206) 684-ROAD (7623) or 684-Road@seattle.gov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHASE II CONSTRUCTION

As part of Seattle City Light’s work to improve the electrical reliability for your neighborhood, the utility is preparing for a second phase of construction in the southwest part of the Blue Ridge/North Beach area. This work has started as of May 2017.

For more information, please visit the Blue Ridge Conduit Installation (Phase II) project page.


SCHEDULE

Construction Start: Tentative to start during the week of Feb. 8, 2016

Duration: Approximately one year

Daily Work Schedule: Mondays through Thursdays; 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
ALTERNATE CONTACT INFORMATION

Alternate Contact: -

Alternative Contact Phone:

Related Content

Streetlight Repair
Seattle City Light operates about 84,000 street lights throughout our service territory to help drivers and pedestrians stay safe at night.

Joint Use Engineering
Information on Joint Use, double poles & utility pole odors.

contact us

Contact Customer Service
206.684.3000
Or submit an inquiry online

Utility Discounts
SAVE 60%
The Utility Discount Program is a great way to lower bills.

LEARN MORE  


  • Contact Seattle City Light

    700 5th Avenue
    Suite 3200
    P.O. Box 34023
    Seattle, WA 98124-4023


    Account & General Questions:


    Contact Us