South Washington Street Infrastructure Improvement
Contact: Michael Danielsen - Project Manager
Seattle City Light plans to maintain the electrical reliability in the Pioneer Square area. Crews must excavate to connect and repair underground conduits (duct banks) and then pull in new electrical cable at vaults along South Washington Street. The work will start near the alley west of First Avenue South and continue through its intersection with Alaskan Way South. The plan is to complete the work in two stages.
CONSTRUCTION WORK STAGES AND IMPACT DETAILS
Stage 1 Impact Details:
- Work zone is on the north side of South Washington Street from the alley between 1st Avenue South and Alaskan Way South.
- Traffic: There will be local access only onto South Washington Street and only from 1st Avenue South.
- Parking will be closed on both sides of the street from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. week days and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekends (intermittent). Two or more spaces will be taken overnight on the north side of South Washington Street to stage equipment. South side parking on South Washington Street will reopen at night.
Stage 2 Impact Details:
- Work zone: Only one half of the intersection will be worked on at a time.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in both directions on Alaskan Way South and west bound only on South Washington Street.
- Parking will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. week days and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekends (intermittent). Two or more spaces will be taken overnight on South Washington Street to stage equipment.
- Bicycle trails will be closed when crews are working on the east side of the intersection. At that time bicyclists will need to merge with traffic in work zone. Uniformed police officers will be on site during both stages and at all times to assist with local traffic and pedestrian access.
- Improve the electrical infrastructure and reliability in the area.
GENERAL PROJECT IMPACTS AND MITIGATION
- No power outages are expected. Heavy equipment and trucks will be located at the worksite.
- Traffic, parking, and pedestrian impacts will occur near the worksite to promote safety and accommodate equipment.
- Excavation will be covered with steel plates during non-work hours.
- Weekend work will take place intermittently. No work will occur two hours before and for two hours after major Pioneer Square/South of Downtown (SoDo) events.
- Crews will pull the electrical cable into the duct banks at a later date. That work involves crews working at vaults only, so it has a much smaller impact.
As early as August 1, 2017
August to Fall of 2017
Daily Work Schedule:
Mon-Fri, 9am-3pm; intermittent weekends 9am-6pm
ALTERNATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Alternate Contact: -
Alternative Contact Phone: