Blue Ridge Conduit Installation: Phase II
Contact: Cayla Ravancho - Community Communications Officer
PROJECT UPDATE (8/29/2018):
Seattle City Light’s conduit installation project in the Blue Ridge/North Beach area will begin the final paving process in early September (after Labor Day). Crews will be grinding existing pavement to prepare the roads for a final asphalt overlay. Final paving will occur block-by-block, only in the areas that have been trenched. Work will take place over a four-week period.
Before Paving Begins:
- To prepare the roadway for final paving, contracted crews will be grinding down existing pavement in early September (after Labor Day).
- “No Parking” signs will be placed in the right-of-way in advance of any work. During grinding of your block, roadway and driveway access will be limited. Access will be available during non-working hours.
Final Paving Details:
- Beginning in mid-September, crews will complete the final paving in Blue Ridge and North Beach. This work is weather dependent and estimated to take approximately three weeks to complete. Working hours are from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- During final paving of your block, there will be no roadway or driveway access. This closure is needed to allow for asphalt to properly cure. Access will be available during non-working hours.
- Paving of each block may take up to five days. Please check the dates listed on the “No Parking” signs for details regarding when your block will be paved. To minimize impacts, parking restrictions may not be the same for the entire block. We encourage residents to check the signs regularly, as dates will change depending on where crews are working.
- Roadways in the city of Seattle are maintained by the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT). Only areas affected by City Light’s conduit installation project will be restored, per SDOT guidelines.
As part of Seattle City Light’s continuing investment to improve the electrical system in the Blue Ridge neighborhood, the utility has hired a contractor to install conduit and associated electrical work in parts of Blue Ridge and North Beach. Phase I of this work was completed in 2017. Phase II will tentatively start in mid-to-late May 2017.
CONSTRUCTION WORK AREA
PROJECT INFORMATION / BENEFITS
- Underground electrical cables were originally installed in Blue Ridge in 1971-1972. In 2012, a Seattle City Light contractor tested and where possible, injected the cables with silicone to extend their life. Approximately 60 percent of the cable was suited to injection. The remaining 40 percent must now be replaced.
- All of Blue Ridge will have a nearly new, more reliable electrical system when the project is completed.
- The cable in the conduit will allow for shorter restoration times when outages occur.
- The contractor may be working in multiple locations at one time.
- Construction will require sections of roadway in the construction zone to be closed to thru traffic while construction is in progress.
- Driveway access to houses closest to the construction will be limited during working hours. Vehicles will be able to pass during non-working hours.
- The project will not cause interruption to your mail delivery or garbage/recycling/yard waste service. Please leave your cans on the curb as you normally do and our crew will make sure that they are picked up by Cleanscapes.
- Maintenance power outages are required to do the work safely. Affected residents will be notified in advance of any outage.
- Trenching for conduits will occur in the public right-of-way (e.g. street and planting strips). This could include the landscaping in front of your house. Affected landscaping, plants and fencing will be restored. Crews have access to use this area as needed.
- Blue Ridge streets that have been trenched will be restored and repaved. This does not include areas outside of the construction work zone.
- All trenches will be covered with steel plates during non-working hours.
- The contractor will work closely with Seattle Department of Transportation’s (SDOT) Urban Forestry group to ensure the protection of trees. SDOT staff may be onsite to monitor this work.
- Customers can expect temporary parking and traffic restrictions. The contractor will work to limit traffic impacts.
- City Light’s Resident Engineer will be on site daily to monitor the contractor.
- Private service connections to homes are not included in this work. The homeowner is responsible for installing conduit in their private property.
STREET MAINTENANCE INFORMATION
For information regarding street restoration outside of Seattle City Light's scope of work, please contact:
Seattle Department of Transportation
(206) 684-ROAD [684-7623]
mid-to-late May 2017
Approximately one year
Daily Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
ALTERNATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Alternate Contact: -
Alternative Contact Phone: