East Union Street Underground Conversions
Contact: Susan Kallies - Seattle City Light Resident Engineer
PROJECT UPDATE (5/4/2017):
Seattle City Light's contractor, Pellco Construction, is continuing their work in the Capitol Hill neighborhood to install underground electrical conduit, vaults and associated equipment in parts of East Union Street from 10th to 11th avenues. Please see the project map and timeline below for more information on current and upcoming stages of work.
On 11th Avenue (near East Pike Street), parking is restricted for equipment staging. Sidewalk restoration is planned in this area after the project has been completed. Please see the information below for additional details.
Current work area: May 2017
Project Timeline - May 2017
- Stage 2 (corner of East Union Street and 10th Avenue) construction was completed in late April 2017.
- Stage 3 construction is anticipated for completion during the week of May 5.
- On May 5, crews will be potholing on the northeast corner of East Union Street and 11th Avenue. Access will be maintained during potholing.
- Crews are also anticipated to start construction for Stage 4 during the week of May 8. This stage of work is anticipated to take four to five weeks to complete.
11th Avenue Between East Pike Street and East Union Street
Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) will be making sidewalk improvements on the west side of 11th Avenue for improved pedestrian mobility and a low speed vehicle environment. Restoration will include a wider sidewalk and curb ramp.
Learn more about the design concept plan: 10th and 11th Avenue Street Design Concept Plan
For more information on the sidewalk restoration work, please contact Susan McLaughlin, SDOT Urban Design at (206) 733-9649 or email@example.com.
A Seattle City Light contractor will be working in the Capitol Hill neighborhood to install underground electrical conduit, vaults and associated equipment in parts of East Union Street from 10th to 11th Avenue. This work is aligned with the City of Seattle’s ordinance to underground power lines in this area.
Map of the construction work area:
Note: Overall project zone depicted. Work impacts will be phased and active work areas will be updated within this footprint.
- Completion of this work will allow for a more reliable power system.
- This work is needed to meet the City of Seattle’s ordinance to underground power lines in this area.
PROJECT IMPACTS & TIMELINE
- Phases of work will include temporary travel lanes, parking lane, sidewalk and bike lane impacts.
- Trenching will occur along East Union Street and segments of 10th and 11th Noise is expected from heavy equipment and jackhammering.
- Access to businesses will be open at all times.
- There will be parking restrictions as trucks are staged on site during work hours. Excavated areas will be covered over with steel plates during non-work hours.
- Maintenance outages are required to do the work safely. Customers will be notified in advance of any outage.
Subscribe to Construction Updates
Sign up for monthly email updates on this project by visiting the following link: http://bit.ly/CityLightCapHill
Week of January 9, 2017
Approximately 5-6 months
Daily Work Schedule:
Mondays to Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
ALTERNATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Alternate Contact: Susan McLaughlin - SDOT Urban Design
Alternative Contact Phone: