1st Avenue South Duct Bank
Contact: Becky Ginn - Electrical Service Representative
PROJECT UPDATE (4/3/2015)
The completion of this project is on hold. The reason for the temporary stoppage is to avoid compromising the footers of the State Route 99 ramp onto the viaduct. Once the viaduct comes down and the State Route 99 tunnel is constructed, the duct bank construction will continue to Railroad Way South.
Seattle City Light plans to maintain the reliability of the downtown electrical system by installing a new duct bank and electrical cable under 1st Avenue South between South Atlantic Street and Railroad Way South.
Crews will be trenching between existing electrical vaults in the middle of 1st Avenue South and installing conduits encased in concrete (duct bank).
The project will maintain electrical reliability by relocating major underground power lines and adding a new one. The work will reduce the potential for outages.
TIMING & COORDINATION
- No scheduled maintenance outages.
- Traffic lane restrictions. Three uniformed police officers will maintain traffic flow at intersections and access to businesses.
- All trenches will be plated when crews are not present.
- Impacts will be one section at a time. Parking will not be impacted while crews are working the southern sections between South Atlantic Street and South Royal Brougham Way. Whereas, parking spaces will be restricted during the later stages of the project between South Royal Brougham Way and Railroad Way South.
- The first three days of work at each section involve saw cutting the street and breaking concrete. After that a backhoe will be used. Customers should expect some noise, especially during those first three days of work.
- Once the civil construction is complete, crews will install new cable, which will take several days. This work will be less intrusive, involving up to two trucks and line workers pulling cable into place and working inside the underground vaults.
- Start: February 2014
- Phasing: Crews will start by excavating at the intersection of 1st Avenue South and South Atlantic Street moving north in sections along 1st Avenue South between South Atlantic Street and Railroad Way South. See map.
- Duration: Entire project is expected to last approximately twelve months (completion end of February 2015).
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with some weekend and night work possible. Crews will stop work two hours prior to large events.
Daily Work Schedule:
February 2014 - February 2015
ALTERNATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Alternate Contact: -
Alternative Contact Phone: