Check this page often for news on our Advanced Metering Initiative!
Fall 2014 Project Update
- Seattle City Light submitted a white paper report to the Seattle City Council about Advanced Metering on September 30, 2014. The report addresses a range of topics including cost, health, environment, and customer data security.
- City Light is currently evaluating three different network systems that will provide two-way communication between your Advanced Meter and City Light. We will select the metering system in early 2015.
In 2016, Seattle City Light will begin replacing more than 400,000 aging electric meters at homes and businesses with a new generation of meters. Advanced Meters will reduce costs, increase reliability, and support our efforts to remain the Nation's Greenest utility.
Advanced Metering is part of the Seattle City Light Strategic Plan
. The plan provides a road map for making informed decisions about the future of the utility
Switching to Advanced Meters will offer many benefits
to our customers:
- Greater control over electricity use in your home, saving you energy and money
- Faster outage detection and restoration if the power goes out
- More accurate billing
- Reduced pollution from City Light vehicles
We expect to install the new meters in homes and businesses in the City Light service area in 2016 and 2017. View the project schedule here