Seattle City Light plans to install a new conduit (duct bank) between existing electrical vaults at the intersection of 3rd Avenue and Columbia Street.
The project will allow us to provide new electrical connections in the area. Crews plan to excavate on the southwest quadrant of the intersection. The new duct bank will be installed and the street restored. (See 3rd Avenue and Columbia Street Duct Bank photo)
- No scheduled power outages
- Crews will maintain a north and a south travel lane through the work zone on 3rd Avenue and one lane on Columbia (Columbia is one-way westbound)
- Two uniformed police officers will maintain access to buildings, promote traffic flow, and safety in crosswalks at all times
- Two parking spaces on Columbia southeast of the intersection will be required for westbound traffic. One parking space on Columbia on the southwest side of the intersection will be required for construction equipment.
- The first 3 days of work involve saw cutting the street and breaking concrete. After that, a backhoe will be used. Customers should expect some noise during work hours.
Once the civil construction is complete, crews will install new cable which will take several days. This work will be less intrusive, involving up to two trucks and line workers pulling cable into place and working inside the underground vaults.
9/16/2013 Update: Civil construction is complete.