Seattle City Light will be upgrading the underground electrical system in the Meadowbrook Estates neighborhood in early June.
The electrical cable in this neighborhood is aging. As underground cables age, their protective insulation deteriorates. When a crack forms and water or dirt reach the wires, it can lead to an unplanned power outage. Seattle City Light is working with a company called UtilX to help avoid such outages by using a silicon injection process. The silicon fills the cracks and extends the life of the cable. If cables can’t be injected, they will be replaced at a later time.
The overall process – including the replacement of splices and elbows that connect the cables – will improve the reliability of electrical service in the Meadowbrook Estates neighborhood. Since 2009 we have successfully used this method in 34 other neighborhoods in our service territory.
What You Can Expect:
- Planned Power outages so crews can safely do the work
- Up to two planned outages; the outages will NOT occur on consecutive days
- Notification by door hanger the Thursday before the outage is scheduled to take place
- The outages will last about eight hours
- Work hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. from Monday – Thursday
- There will be some traffic and parking disruptions in the immediate work area, but it will be carefully signed. Work is done at each vault, and trucks will move after each hour.
- Flaggers are used where needed on residential streets. Crews are careful to try to maintain access to driveways
6/21/2013 Update: This project is completed.