PROJECT UPDATE (5/22,2015)
City Light crews will not be working this weekend, Memorial Day weekend, at the intersection of 4th Avenue South and South Washington Street. Crews are making progress. Work is happening weekdays at the far eastern side of South Washington Street and 4th Avenue South. Access to on-street parking is being maintained, as much as possible, between 3rd and 4th Avenues South along South Washington Street.
This most recent work involves connecting the vault in the intersection with the new one at the NE corner of South Washington Street and 4th Avenue South. Work will be mostly on weekends only per the traffic control plans.
Seattle City Light is increasing the reliability of the downtown electrical system by rebuilding an underground vault at the intersection of 4th Avenue South and connecting it via conduits (duct bank) to a vault at 3rd Avenue South. The work will occur along South Washington Street. (See photos for Stage 1 and Stage 2
After the new vault and duct banks are installed, the street will be restored.
This project will increase the electrical reliability for customers.
PROJECT TIMELINE & IMPACTS
- No scheduled maintenance outages
- Uniformed police officers will maintain traffic flow on all affected streets
- Pedestrian access will be available to all businesses at all times.
- All trenches will be plated at night.
- Impacts will be one section at a time.
- The first three days of work at each section involve saw cutting the street and breaking concrete. After that, a backhoe will be used. Customers should expect noise during those times.
Once the civil construction is complete, crews will install new cable, which will take several days. This work will be less intrusive, involving up to two trucks and line workers pulling cable into place and working inside the underground vaults.