Seattle.gov Home Page
Seattle.gov This Department
Link to Seattle City Light Home Page Link to Seattle City Light Home Page Link to Seattle City Light About Us Page Link to Seattle City Light Contact Us Page
Lighting Seattle since 1905 Jorge Carrasco, Superintendent
City Light crew

Project Details Information

Release Date: 12/17/2013
Contact: Erin Hunter - Electrical Service Representative
phone: 206-684-4297
Alternate Contact: Emily Burns - Project Manager
phone: (206) 733-9972
   
Work planned on: View Ridge Conduit Installation

Project Overview
Underground electric cable in View Ridge was buried directly in the ground from 1969 to 1974 using the technology and materials available at the time. As underground cables age, the protective insulation deteriorates. In 2009 and 2010, Seattle City Light tested and, where possible, injected the cable with silicon. The silicon injection process extends the life of the cable by at least 20 years. Approximately 60 percent of the cable that was tested was injected. The other 40 percent of the cable in the neighborhood was tested but found not suitable for injection. That 40 percent must now be replaced. The next step in replacement is installation of conduit. Seattle City Light is hiring a contractor to install conduit and associated work, including new electrical vaults; curb ramp installation and restoration, sidewalks, pavement, and landscaping. The final step will be pulling the cable into the protective conduit by Seattle City Light crews.

Project Update
In 2012, test holes were drilled to determine the location of other utilities that are near where the conduit will be installed. The conduit will be installed by tunneling beneath the ground's surface. This method is called horizontal-directional drilling (HDD). HDD is much less disruptive to sidewalks and landscaping than open trenching. It is also a less expensive, faster means of replacing the electrical system. City Light's Resident Engineer will be on-site to monitor the contractor.

The status of your electric cable may have changed due to the need to make emergency repairs since the original silicon injection project. A map showing the locations where new conduit and vault installations are necessary and a construction schedule by area can be found here.

3/24/2014 Update

City Light welcomed View Ridge residents to its Dec. 17 community meeting. Attendees were able to:

  • Learn more about upcoming construction activities
  • Speak with City Light staff
  • Meet the contractor

The Sand Point Country Club neighborhood is under construction and all project conduit installed. The contractor continues to install vaults and make vault / conduit tie-in connections. Restoration work continues through April 2014.

Customers in the Central and Southeastern segments of View Ridge will begin to see locate marks, flags, and potholing activity. These markers help crews stay safe and protect against drilling into other utilities. We ask that the painted marks not be pressure washed and the flags not be moved. The locate paint will fade with time and weather. Drilling and conduit installation will begin in the Central Segments in April 2014.

Schedule: 
Begin: December 19, 2013
Duration: 10 months
Click here for more contact information! Customer Service
Call (206) 684-3000
   



 
More City of Seattle Construction Projects:
   
  Send questions or comments to Mark VanOss by email or call Mark at 206.684.3279.
   
  Home | North | South | Downtown ---- Archives

The Seattle City Light Web Team:

Seattle City Light -- 700 5th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98104-5031 -- 206.684.3000
Mailing address: 700 5th Avenue, Suite 3200, P.O. Box 34023 Seattle, WA 98124-4023