Safe Time: Community Resources

Seattle’s Paid Sick and Safe Time (PSST) law provides critical protection for workers who need to take time off work for safety issues, including domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.

Read About Safe Time

Supportive Services for Individuals Impacted by Domestic Violence

Domestic violence impacts countless lives across the United States. Here in Seattle/King County, many organizations provide support to people affected by domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking.

Domestic Violence

  • New Beginnings
    24-hour crisis line, confidential emergency shelter, safety planning, legal advocacy, transitional housing and support groups for individuals impacted by domestic violence and their children. All services are free.
  • Asian Counseling and Referral Services (ACRS)
    Counseling and social services provided for Asian Americans and Pacific Islander communities. Staff is bilingual in a variety of languages.
  • API Chaya
    Comprehensive culturally relevant services for Asians and Pacific Islander communities concerning domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. Staff is bilingual in Tagalog, Vietnamese, Korean, Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, and Japanese.
  • Broadview Emergency and Transitional Housing
    206- 299-2500 or 877-622-3122
    Semi-confidential shelter and transitional housing for women with children. Safety planning, legal advocacy, support groups, transitional housing, for individuals impacted by domestic violence.
  • Catherine Booth House / Salvation Army Domestic Violence Program
    24-hour crisis line, emergency shelter, safety planning, legal/child advocacy, counseling, support groups, specialized support for older women and women in jail.
  • Chinese Information & Services Center
    A multi-service center including advocacy, safety planning and counseling for domestic violence survivors and their children. The staff is bilingual in Cambodian, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Fujianese, Taiwanese, and Tioshanese.
  • Consejo Counseling and Referral Services
    Counseling, safety planning, support groups, legal/medical advocacy and Transitional housing for Latino/Hispanic women who have been impacted by domestic violence. Staff is bilingual in Spanish.
  • Jewish Family Service Project DVORA
    Counseling, safety planning, legal advocacy and support groups for Jewish women with controlling or violent partners and their children. The staff is bilingual in Hebrew, Russian, Yiddish and Vietnamese.
  • Refugee Women’s Alliance (ReWA)
    A multi-service center including domestic violence advocacy services for refugee and immigrant women. Services include counseling, support groups, safety planning and legal advocacy. Staff is bilingual in Amharic, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), French, Ilocano, Lao, Oromo, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Thai, Tigrigna, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
  • Seattle Counseling Service
    Ongoing support groups and resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual and Transgender communities who are currently in or have been in a violent intimate relationship. Staff is bilingual in Spanish.
  • Seattle Indian Health Board
    206-324-9360 ext.802
    Support groups, advocacy services for Native American and Alaska Native individuals impacted by domestic violence.
  • United Indians of all Tribes Youth & Family Services
    206-723-2825 ext.28
    Domestic violence and sexual assault support services, individual and group counseling, referral and advocacy for families and individuals. Provided through the United Indians of all Tribes Foundation.
  • YWCA East Cherry Branch
    Specialized programs for African-American women and teens. Services include counseling, support groups, safety planning, legal advocacy.
  • YWCA Downtown Emergency Shelter
    Emergency shelter for single women and women with children. DV support groups with childcare.

Sexual Assault


  • New Beginnings Legal Clinic
    Free one hour legal consultation. Call for appointment Wednesday 1-3 pm only.
  • King County Bar Association – Lawyer Referral and Information Service
    Evaluates need for legal assistance and refers to an attorney or appropriate community resource.
  • King County Family – Law Facilitator Program
    Seattle 206-296-9092
    Kent 206-205-2526
    Provides forms for filing a dissolution, legal separation, child support modification, family law motion, restraining order or contempt motion. Facilitators are not attorneys and cannot give legal advice. In Kent, 30 minute consultation with volunteer attorney on Fridays – appointment required.
  • King County Bar Association – Neighborhood Legal Clinic Program
    Free 30 minute consultation with an attorney. Legal representation not offered. Available in several locations. Call for appointment, Monday—Thursday, 9 a.m. to noon.
  • King County – Protection Order Advocacy Program
    Seattle 206-477-1103
    Kent 206-205-7406
    Provides advocacy assistance with domestic violence protection order petitions and hearings in King County.
  • Legal Voice
    206-621-7691 or TTY 206-521-4317
    Free legal information and referral to attorneys in private practice, self-help resources and family law packets.
  • Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
    206-587-4009 or 1-800-445-5771
    Provides immigration-related legal advice, information, representation and education to low-income Washington State residents.
  • Northwest Justice Project
    Screens for eligibility for assistance with civil legal issues. Provides a cross-cultural domestic violence legal clinic and some limited representation for low-income survivors of domestic violence. Accepts referrals from domestic violence advocates and social workers only – clients should not refer themselves.
    The website offers a guide to free civil legal services for low-income persons and seniors in Washington State, including protection from abuse, family law, housing and immigration. Available in 25 languages.

Ask Question or File Complaint

Please contact us if you have questions about the workplace protections included in Seattle’s Safe Time provision, or to report a violation.

Contact Us