City of Seattle - Your Internet Safety Partner
Safety online begins with keeping your personal computer up to date. We recommend these steps:
1) Update all your applications with the latest patches. Applications such as:
- Microsoft Office such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Adobe Reader or Writer
- Video/audio players such as Real Player or QuickTime
- Web browsers such as Internet Explorer or FireFox
- Any other applications on your computer
2) Make sure your operating system, e.g. Windows, Macintosh, or Linux, etc., is patched with all the latest security updates.
3) Install and run a good up-to-date antivirus/antispyware application. It should have the latest malicious software signatures to prevent infections.
4) Install and run an up-to-date software firewall on your computer, and possibly also a hardware firewall between your computer and your Internet connection.
If you think your computer may have been infected with a virus or malicious software (malware), you first should make sure all the safety features above are in place and then do a thorough scan of your computer for malware or rootkits. If you don't know how to install or manage any of the suggested protections, or how to scan your computer for infections, we recommend you consult a computer professional.
For more computer security information, tips and resources please see our Information Security web site.
Last Updated: May 13, 2008