As part of the pre-planning process for the fire levy program, the City assessed fire stations throughout the city to see which ones had already been designated as landmarks and which additional ones could be nominated for landmark status.
That review showed that of the 33 fire stations throughout the city, only two had been designated as landmarks:
Eight other stations were considered eligible for designation:
- Fire Station 6 - Central District
- Fire Station 13 - Beacon Hill
- Fire Station 14 - SoDo
- Fire Station 16 - Green Lake
- Fire Station 17 - University District
- Fire Station 37 - West Seattle/High Point
- Fire Station 38 - Ravenna/Bryant
- Fire Station 41 - Magnolia
See former Mayor Nickels' letter regarding the historic preservation of fire stations.
In 2004 and 2005 the City Landmarks Board designated all eight stations as historic landmarks.