Station 39 - Lake City
Updated: May 10, 2013
About the Station
Fire Station 39 houses one engine company and a reserve engine.
The old station, built in 1949, would have required significant work to meet current earthquake safety standards and accommodate today's modern equipment and firefighting operations. Since meeting code and operational requirements would require a complete overhaul of the station, it was more cost effective to build a new facility on the existing site. The new station occupies part of the current site; the future use of the remaining portion will be determined through the City's property reuse and disposition process.
- The Miller Hull Partnership designed the fire station.
- The project scope includes a new two-story, three-bay station built to current seismic safety standards.
- During construction of the new facility, crews remained in the existing station.
The project was completed in April 2010.
- April 2010: Firefighters moved into the newly completed station.
- April 2009: The groundbreaking, with Mayor Nickels and Council President Conlin in attendance, took place. Construction began.
- March 2009: Howard S. Wright Constructors was awarded the construction contract.
- March 2008: Approximately 175 neighbors attended the design development open house to see designs of the new station. The architects presented the design development drawings to the Design Commission, which approved the work.
- December 2007: The Design Commission approved the schematic design.
- August 2007: The Design Commission approved the concept design. The Public Art Advisory Committee selected Stephen Glassman of Venice, CA to create art for display outside the fire station.
- July 2007: To learn about the new station, meet the firefighters and tour the engine, about 150 neighbors attended the pre-design scope open house.
- November 2006: The Miller Hull Partnership was selected as the project architect.
- seattlepi.com, June 12, 2010: Meet Fire Fighters and Mike McGinn at the New Lake City Fire Station