Hawthorne Hills - Station 38
About the Station
Fire Station 38, located in the Hawthorne Hills neighborhood, houses one engine company (E38) and a reserve engine.
At 2,700 square feet, the old station was too small to accommodate the operations required to support modern emergency response. Built in 1930, the historic character of the old station and site configuration ruled out expanding the existing station.
A new station has been completed at the northeast corner of 40th Avenue NE and NE 55th Street.
The existing station was granted landmark status in 2004. Click here to see the landmark nomination report. The City will sell the historic building, located at 5503 33rd Avenue NE, and put the money back into the Levy program.
The architectural firm Schreiber Starling & Lane designed the upgrade.
The project scope includes a new station built to current safety standards.
During construction of the new station, crews remained in the current facility.
The project was completed in March 2011.
October 2009: Construction started.
September 2009: The groundbreaking, with Mayor Nickels and Councilmember Jean Godden in attendance, took place.
August 2009: Corstone Construction was awarded the construction contract.
September 2008: Nuprecon was awarded the building demolition contract on the site of the future fire station.
March 2008: The Design Commission approved design development.
February 2008: About 250 neighbors attended the design development open house.
November 2007: The Design Commission approved the schematic design.
September 2007: The first design open house took place. Environmental clean-up began on the site, which housed a gas station for over 40 years.
June 2007: Architects gave a scope/concept briefing to the Design Commission.
May 2007: Design began.
February 2007: The City purchased the site for the new station at 40th Ave. NE and NE 55th St.
December 2006: Schreiber Starling & Lane Architects were selected to design the new facility.
January 2006: The City Council authorized the purchase of the site located at 40th Ave. NE and NE 55th St. for the new fire station.