Station 28 - Rainier Valley
About the Station
Fire Station 28, located at 5968 Rainier Ave. S., houses one engine company, a ladder truck and a medic unit.
The old Fire Station 28, built in 1951, required significant work to meet current earthquake safety standards and program requirements. The large site offered the flexibility to build a new, modern station next to the old station. Phase 2 of the project includes demolishing the old station and converting the basement into a stormwater vault. Site water will be collected and used for vehicle washing and non-potable water in the station (toilet flushing), reducing both stormwater and potable water usage.
The architectural firm Schreiber Starling & Lane designed the upgrade.
The project scope includes a new station built to current safety standards.
During construction of the new building, crews remained in the current station.
The project was completed in November 2009.
- December 2009: Firefighters moved back into the new station. Mayor Nickels, joined by Councilmember Harrell, dedicated the new station.
- November 2009: The project was completed.
- February 2009: Mayor Nickels held a press conference to announce construction taking place in 2009 on six new fire stations, three major renovations, and two seismic upgrades.
- October 2008: Construction began.
- September 2008: Berschauer Phillips Construction Company was awarded the construction contract.
- July 2008: The project was advertised for bid.
- June 2007: The Public Art Advisory Committee selected Wayne Chabre to create art for display outside the fire station.
- April 2007: The Seattle Design Commission reviewed the design development phase of the project. Approximately 125 community members attended the second design development open house, which included a visit from Mayor Nickels.
- March 2007: The Seattle Design Commission reviewed the schematic design phase of the project.
- February 2007: The Seattle Design Commission reviewed the project scope/concept.
- January 2007: About 150 people attended a community open house to view pre-design scope and sketches.
- August 2006: Consultant selection was held; Schreiber, Starling & Lane were chosen as the project architects.
Address: 5968 Rainier Ave. S.
Completion Date: November 2009
Date Built: 1951