Station 17 - University District
About the Station
Fire Station 17, located at 1050 NE 50th St., is a Battalion Headquarters station. Battalion 6 serves the neighborhoods of northeast Seattle, Eastlake and Capitol Hill. Currently, the facility houses an engine company, a ladder truck, a Battalion Chief, a reserve aid car and a reserve Battalion Chief's car. The project will add space for a medic unit and a proposed specialty unit (Tunnel Rescue). To recognize its historic significance, the building received landmark designation in 2005.
Building additions and renovations took place on an expanded site. Improvements offer a safer, more efficient work environment for supporting both fire and emergency medical calls.
The architectural firm Bassetti architects designed the addition/renovation.
- A structural upgrade to bring the station up to current seismic safety standards
- An addition on the north side of the station to support Battalion 6, providing space for firefighting equipment and vehicles
- Increased space for classroom instruction, physical training and an outside court for conducting drills
- New firefighter quarters
- Renovated administration area
- Improved mechanical and electrical systems
During the upgrade, the station was relocated to an interim facility at 4557 11th Ave. N to ensure continued fire and emergency medical response to the neighborhoods served by Fire Station 17.
The project is completed.
- August 2010: Mayor McGinn, community leaders and residents celebrated the reopening of the station, toured the facility and met the firefighters.
- June 2010: Firefighters moved into the newly completed station.
- May 2010: Project completed.
- Dec. 2008: Firefighters moved into the temporary facility. Construction on the permanent station began.
- November 2008: Graham Contracting was awarded the construction contract.
- October 2008: The project was advertised for bid. The building and Master Use Permit (MUP) were received.
- July 2008: The project received a certificate of approval from the Landmarks Preservation Board.
- June 2008: Pellco Construction was awarded the contract for work on the temporary station.
- March 2008: The Seattle Landmark Board's Architectural Review Committee reviewed the project.
- September 2007: About 175 neighbors attended the design development community open house.
- August 2007: The Seattle Landmark Board's Architectural Review Committee looked at details regarding connecting the existing and new buildings.
- June 2007: The Seattle Landmark Board's Architectural Review Committee looked at the scope of the project and the massing of the new addition.
- January 2007: Approximately 200 community members attended the pre-design scope open house to learn more about station improvements, view sketches, meet the firefighters, and tour the engine, medic unit and ladder truck.
- August 2006: Consultant selection was held; Bassetti architects were selected.
Address: 1050 NE 50th St.
Completion Date: May 2010
Date Built: 1929