Fremont - Station 9
About Your Station
Built in 1954, the station houses one engine company, as well as compressed air equipment and a truck to deliver air cylinders. Firefighters need compressed air to survive the toxic elements of a fire.
Mithun is designing the new station.
The project scope includes a new station built to current safety standards.
While the new station is built, the station will be relocated to an interim facility that will ensure continued fire and medic response to the neighborhood served by Fire Station 9.
Construction started in August 2012, and is expected to be complete in early fall 2013.
July 2012: Construction contract awarded to Howard S. Wright.
May 2010: About 150 community members attended the design development open house to see the progress of the new fire station design — and visit the firefighters. At the design development presentation, the Seattle Design Commission gave the project unanimous approval.
January 2010: Approximately 175 neighbors attended the community open house to see the schematic design sketches and fire engine. The Seattle Design Commission approved the schematic design phase of the project.
October 2009: The Seattle Design Commission unanimously approved the concept design.
July 2009: The Landmarks Preservation Board voted 5 to 4 in favor of designating the Annex as a Landmark, shy of the six votes required to pass the designation. The annex building, built in 1921, is a concrete structure located on the south side of the site.
May 2009: The Landmarks Preservation Board met to determine whether to approve the nomination for the Fire Station 9 (Fremont) Annex. Seven landmarks board members approved nominating the Annex, with one dissenting member. To be nominated as a landmark, buildings need to meet at least one of six criteria. Landmarks staff recommended the nomination based on the following designation standard: It embodies the distinctive visible characteristics of an architectural style, period, or of a method of construction.
April 2009: The landmark nomination (pdf) report was submitted to landmarks staff in the Department of Neighborhoods.
May 2008: Artist Peter Reiquam was selected.
Nov. 2007: Mithun architects were selected for the project.